Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
+ Add Reply

Topic: Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense?

ironpony started this thread.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense?

I wanted to direct feature length script into a film, but not sure if I would be able to take on all the directorial duties for a feature, all by myself. I thought about teaming up with another director I know who is trained very highly in directing actors. So she could take on directing the actors and handle a lot of that portion of duties, where as I could concentrate on directing when it comes to the technical and technological duties more so.

But I was told by someone in the business that if I am going to direct my first feature, that I really should do it all myself, cause sharing a credit makes a far less impression in the industry, compared to having a full director credit myself, which is my so many directors that do share credits with another, are always stuck there for the rest of their careers.

But do you think that's true though, and I should therefore direct the entire project myself?

Related Topics:

Super Moderator   Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? mara's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to make a good movie & share the credit than make a lousy movie and get full credit :)

I love the movie Game Night - although admittedly I'm prejudiced because one of the actors - Billy Magnussen - was a star of my movie Surviving Family . It has 2 directors, and I haven't seen any criticism of that. So do whatever is best for your project.

Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks. Makes sense. I also am doing this to get into acting as well, and want to have more control over the parts I get so I thought I would give myself one of the main character or supporting character roles in the movie. And for that I could use a director to direct me as well, while I am on camera, where as I could handle the technical aspects.

Junior Member   Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? SleepyDogFilms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mara. It is better to have a good film with shared credit than a lousy one with you solely responsible. It also seems that directing pairs are becoming more common in mainstream film.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh okay, thanks, I might just do that then. So if I am the producer and director so far, how do I decide if the assistant director, should also be a co-director, or what is the difference between the two, since I am still making the decisions, it seems?

Super Moderator   Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? mara's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The assistant director's job is completely different from the director's job. So even if you have 2 directors, you would still need an assistant director. Google around - there are lots of AD/1st AD/2nd AD job descriptions out there.

Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Junior Member   Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? Does sharing a director's credit look bad in this sense? SleepyDogFilms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't quote me on these, but I believe the Directors Guild states that anyone that directs 51% or more of a film is entitled to a directing credit. If this is not what you need, I would be upfront when posting the job and perhaps you will find someone that is willing to do it for producer credit or to have "In Association With" their production company at the beginning of the film.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, I remember that in film school as well, however, this is a production, independent from the directors guild, so do independent productions follow the same rule?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the production, but I believe even someone involved in an independent production is entitled to director's credit if they direct half or more of the film. So if you hire somebody and do not intend to give them credit and they end up directing more of it than you do, you may have an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah for sure. Well mainly I feel like I am directing the whole thing, accept for a lot of the actors part of it. Like since she is more experienced with directing and teaching actors, I gave her the directing actors majority part of it so far, but currently I am doing the choices of cinematography, choices of shots, storyboards, when there should be music, etc. So I guess it depends on how much percent the directing the actors part of it is.

Last edited by ironpony; 06-24-2018 at 03:07 PM.

+ Add Reply