Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short non-verbal doc about Religions (Godfrey's syle)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Short non-verbal doc about Religions (Godfrey's syle)

    Hi all,

    This is my short documentary about Religions. It's a journey across the six major religious beliefs of today ( Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Hebraism) and about just how thin the line is between these faith on a spiritual level.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDoBNWOH23M


    Music originally composed.

    I would appreciate any feedback. Positive and Negative.

  • #2
    Nice work! Although there is room for improvement.

    While I like the visuals, one thing that could be improved upon is camera movement. There's very little. While still shots are nice, sometimes they were so still that they felt like photos. I'm not sure, maybe they are. It would be nice if there were people moving in the frame, or a slight lean in to let us know that we are looking at footage, not photos.

    But overall, I liked it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sam. This "documentary" didn't work at all for me. It is way too long imo for just being pictures with a little video here and there. To me it reminds me of the old photo slideshows just with music added to it. That being said I think you have a good idea for a documentary and here is how I would go about making it better. First add audio. You need interviews with people of those faiths. Even if it is just one religious leader from each one. You need a set of questions to ask those people and ask each one the same questions. Then cut between the interview, photos, and video of the different religions like you have here.

      If you are interested in keeping it like you have it I would cut it down to 3 minutes max and maybe even less. I lost interest after 1:30 and begin skipping around looking at the images. I am not trying to pick you apart or make you feel bad I am merely offering my advice based on my degree in Cinematography.

      I don't feel you need a whole lot of camera movements most documentaries are an establishing shot of the room the interview is in, a close up of the interviewee and a medium close up of the interviewee. Then footage with pans and tilts are edited in to break those up. Basically you will shoot the interview twice to three times with each person. Once in an establishing shot, once in close up and once in medium close up. This will allow you more room editing where you can place your cuts without the footage looking funky.

      Hope this helps,

      Jeff

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi guys, thanks for giving me some feedback

        Originally posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post

        While I like the visuals, one thing that could be improved upon is camera movement. There's very little. While still shots are nice, sometimes they were so still that they felt like photos. I'm not sure, maybe they are.
        There are NO PHOTOS. It's all video. As for camera movement, yes some shots are locked-down but I did put a few camera movements as horizontal and vertical pans, sliding, zooms in and zooms out. Can I ask you if you watched it all?

        Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
        Sam. This "documentary" didn't work at all for me. It is way too long imo for just being pictures with a little video here and there. To me it reminds me of the old photo slideshows just with music added to it.
        As said above, there are NO PHOTOS! All video.

        Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
        You need interviews with people of those faiths. Even if it is just one religious leader from each one. You need a set of questions to ask those people and ask each one the same questions. Then cut between the interview, photos, and video of the different religions like you have here.
        As the title of this thread says, this is a NON VERBAL documentary. Hence no interviews or voice over. I did this because I wanted the viewer to relate personally to the imagery shown and make their own mind up about the topic.

        Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
        I lost interest after 1:30 and begin skipping around looking at the images.
        Please watch it all. I tried to edit it to a sort of "story line". There are four themes: 1) Sacred places, 2) Sacred images, 3) Praying rituals and 4) the believers.

        Thank you

        Comment


        • #5
          There's a reason that it looks like photos.

          There's nothing moving in the environment, and there's no camera movement. Perhaps if you had slight movement, some one moving in the scene, or even using a still shot that looks like a photo to give us an idea of what the location looks like, then showing closeups of the area to make it look like a real location that you had filmed in. If you can't get back to those locations, perhaps you might want to throw on a handheld video filter, and turn it down so that it isn't too over the top.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post
            There's a reason that it looks like photos.

            There's nothing moving in the environment, and there's no camera movement. Perhaps if you had slight movement, some one moving in the scene, or even using a still shot that looks like a photo to give us an idea of what the location looks like, then showing closeups of the area to make it look like a real location that you had filmed in. If you can't get back to those locations, perhaps you might want to throw on a handheld video filter, and turn it down so that it isn't too over the top.
            Yes some shots are locked-down and there is nothing moving, and I wanted them to be so, especially for the holy houses.

            But if you watch the WHOLE video there are quite a few camera movements, pans, zooms in and out, sliding, pull focus's and people moving in some shots.

            A hand-held filter is the last thing I would want to put. The point is to capture and convey the sense of calm and tranquillity that you feel when you enter these holy places.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Yes some shots are locked-down and there is nothing moving, and I wanted them to be so, especially for the holy houses.

              But if you watch the WHOLE video there are quite a few camera movements, pans, zooms in and out, sliding, pull focus's and people moving in some shots.

              A hand-held filter is the last thing I would want to put. The point is to capture and convey the sense of calm and tranquillity that you feel when you enter these holy places.

              I know that there is movement. It's just that the completely still shots look like photos.

              Also, when I said you MIGHT want on a handheld filter, I followed that up by saying to tone it done, exactly because of what you said - you wanted to capture the tranquility of the area. Which can be done if you really tone it down, and just have a light, slow, swaying.

              But anyway, interesting short.

              Comment

              Working...
              X