The Unipiper of Portland - A Documentary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unipiper of Portland - A Documentary

I made this with a friend for a school assignment last year. It only just occurred to me that I should put it up here and get feedback from filmmakers though...

Basically we traveled to Portland and interviewed this crazy alternative guy, and threw together a short documentary. This was my first ever attempt at a documentary, and the first time I got to use my nice new "Action Studios" logo. (Made by Vance Baryn on this site. Thanks!)

EDIT: About half way through there is a slight wobble-up, with some missing stills, so a red screen will appear saying media offline. Sorry about that...I need to be more careful where I archive things.
    Last edited by Bryce Welsh; 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM.

Nice job! For those first few opening shots without people, maybe just try using stills instead. I understand that it may have been hard to capture smooth video from a car, etc., but if you had just used images on the shots of buildings and cars stopped at traffic, it may have been better. I liked your music you added, but turn it down during when he's playing. Overall, the music is a bit too loud. I liked the interview shots overall, but next time try putting the subject on one side of the screen instead of in the middle. The area you interviewed him in was great. Also, definitely get a mic with a windscreen. Around 3:52 it says "media offline." This was a good doc overall. Keep it up!
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
      Nice job! For those first few opening shots without people, maybe just try using stills instead. I understand that it may have been hard to capture smooth video from a car, etc., but if you had just used images on the shots of buildings and cars stopped at traffic, it may have been better. I liked your music you added, but turn it down during when he's playing. Overall, the music is a bit too loud. I liked the interview shots overall, but next time try putting the subject on one side of the screen instead of in the middle. The area you interviewed him in was great. Also, definitely get a mic with a windscreen. Around 3:52 it says "media offline." This was a good doc overall. Keep it up!
      Oh yeah...that media offline thing is a bit embarrassing...

Thanks, I agree. I was quite displeased with the shaky camera at the beginning as well, but I didn't realize how ti turned out until editing. That's a good idea, turning down the bagpipes...it is quite ear shattering. And the thing about putting him to the side of the screen, I should have done that. As for the mic and the windscreen, that is on my current list of things to save up for, but I'm pretty broke right now, and saving up for a better camera. I will get one as soon as I can afford it.

:D Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
      X