Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jacket - Short Film

Hi Everyone!

This is a short film I composed the music for back in September last year and was the first professional gig I got outside of academia, so it still holds a special part in my heart. It's just got back from some film festivals here in the UK and I thought, why not share it with you guys?

The short was directed by David Izatt and produced by Zoghogg Ltd.

Synopsis:

It’s 1986 and 14 year old Charlotte McGarry’s life has become an absolute nightmare. Tormented daily by a boy that was once her best friend, she dreads the very thought of getting up in the morning and walking to school, for fear of being bullied by Christian Christie and his big sister Sharon.
    When Charlotte arrives home from school late one afternoon with a black eye, her worried mother asks if she would be keen to spend the summer holidays in the countryside with her Grandad, to which Charlotte eagerly agrees.
    On hearing about Charlotte's torment back home, Grandad gives her a jacket worn by himself in WW2 and her father during the Falkland's conflict. He promises that it will protect her from all her troubles.
    Charlotte returns home, setting off for school the very next day proudly wearing the old jacket worn by her father. What her Grandad didn’t mention was that whilst the jacket will protect you when it’s ‘wearer’ is threatened, that protection comes at a cost. When Charlotte crosses paths once again with Christian and Sharon, we see the jacket’s true form and the two bullies can either flee or perish.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy it!

Best,

Mitchell Gibbs.
    www.mitchell-gibbs.com
    Composer | Orchestrator | Arranger

Wow! Really well made. I didn't love the actor that played the grandad, and some of the effects were cheesy, but overall I really enjoyed it. Nice score!
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
      Wow! Really well made. I didn't love the actor that played the grandad, and some of the effects were cheesy, but overall I really enjoyed it. Nice score!
      Thanks for the critiques, and I'm glad you liked the score and the overall film!

Yes, the acting and effects were hit and miss but the overall film was the culmination of the local community in and around Fife, Scotland. So it created a bit of a buzz around the area and also got people involved in acting and production that wouldn't of normally done so.

It was nice to see the power of filmmaking pulling the community together :)

Comment

Am I right in thinking that some, if not all of the dialogue was mimed? I have to say it did distract me a little bit.

Other than that, this was shot beautifully!
        "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDisaster View Post
          Am I right in thinking that some, if not all of the dialogue was mimed? I have to say it did distract me a little bit.

Other than that, this was shot beautifully!
          Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure how they approached the dialogue, as I was just the composer but I think I no what you mean.

Although, the actors were locally sourced the production team were professional and so was their equipment, so that explains the level of quality, as they do TV and music video work, too.

Thanks for watching!

Best,

Mitchell.

Comment

Well done. Nice photography and very well shot. The ending was crazy. My only issue is that the music although very nice, seemed too spontaneous at times.

Comment

Originally posted by AWLeath View Post
              Well done. Nice photography and very well shot. The ending was crazy. My only issue is that the music although very nice, seemed too spontaneous at times.
              Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, I do agree. Being the first gig I got outside of university I was still learning, looking back at it now I notice the same things, too. Also, some parts I feel now didn't need music or maybe I should of approached them differently etc. Plus, I was still learning how to use my equipment and get the best out of it in terms of mixing, balance and realism etc.

However, I'm glad you enjoyed the overall film!

Very best,

Mitchell Gibbs.
              www.mitchell-gibbs.com
              Composer | Orchestrator | Arranger

Comment

Working...
              X