The midnight room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The midnight room

Hey, i'm Zack Elledge, co creator of THE MIDNIGHT ROOM. I was referred here by Eric Poe, who linked our third episode to you guys. I was overwhelmed by the response and wanted to connect with the people who really dug it, and to those of you didn't see it, try to get you to notice it this time.
    I'll try and post all five episodes below, i'm not really sure how this works, but if that doesn't work i'll put a link to our youtube which has all five episodes up. There all around 2-4 Minutes, and it's an anthology series to an extent. THE MIDNIGHT ROOM is our answer to The Twilight Zone, not our version of it.
    I sincerely hope you enjoy, and once again thanks for the kind words and support already, it blew me away.

www.Youtube.com/EdgehartProductions

If you have any questions, or comments, or anything at all please go ahead and respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfaHmHAFL2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0uHYkm4Tdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiF4c0JJQIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSP0pC4xSnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGIdOA2KUbE

Welcome to the forum! This whole week has been really busy for me, but if I get a chance I look forward to watching some of the episodes! :)
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Cool, checking these out now!

Comment

Very abstract! Gotta be crazily difficult to make something like this. Congrats!
          "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

ThankyouThankyouThankyou! Hope you dig it!

Comment

Hardest part has been dealing with and subverting expectations/ producing the series in something of a vacuum. Also, sound design, haha.

Thanks for checking it out!!!

Comment

I'm writing my comments after each episode:

Episode 1: Wow, great job! I was really impressed! Personally, I don't love text out of the image area, but that is a personal choice. I love all of the in and out of camera effects. Was that lens whacking? I loved the surprise ending.

Episode 2: Great! Very mysterious. I didn't love all of the camera placement/movement/focus choices for the "warmer" section, but thought that it worked in the "blueish" section. Great editing, and overall feel.

Episode 3: Wow! Very intense. The voice-over worked well for me. At times it was a little too shaky, but it was great building up to that ending climax.

I have to go now, but I will give my comments on the rest later.
                -AF

sigpic

Comment

This is is awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Just a lot of focus play with the camera. The idea was as Episode 1 went a long, you'd start to see the alien in more detail, and eventually be like, wait, is that a mask? This looks kind of off, leading to the big reveal at the end.

Episode 2 was the hard sell. Glad it worked for you!

Episode 3, thanks! All that was done in intentions to make it more intense and more climatic.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to do that though!

Comment

Finally got around to the rest. Nice job! Writing my comments as they come up, pausing the vid.

4: Nice color correction and low light shooting. No grain. I liked the slow reveal of who he was. I'm starting to see a few focus issues, and I'm not sure if it was intended or not. Great lighting. The audio is pretty good, but there is a noticeable cut around 2:40. I like the mysterious end!

5: Across all of the episodes you did a nice job matching the color correction. The focus was a bit off. Towards the beginning I noticed a bit of grain. Some of the shots were a little to close, and also dark, but that may have been on purpose. I saw a flash frame around 1:14. The subtitle things were a bit hard to read. I found the plot a bit confusing to understand.

Nice job overall!
                    -AF

sigpic

Comment

A lot of the focus play is intentional, the rest comes from the challenge of using manual focus as opposed to auto focus when shooting hand held. Thanks for the lighting and color correction compliments man, haha. I kid you not, the only thing we do is change the white balance settings in the camera. I've enhanced brightness or saturation on maybe 3 or 4 shots so far.

The audio in episode 4 we screwed ourselves with. The director of that one didn't have it on during the comedy routine bit, so we had to use all the in camera audio. Didn't come out as bad as I thought it would, but there's a couple things that I notice everytime, haha.

And thanks about the end, it was a lot of fun finally giving people a taste of serialization.

With 5. Thanks again with the color/focus/grain comments. I shot this one myself and all of these were intentional. The flash frame was supposed to be a little longer, but that was intentional. It was a call back to episode 1. The plot is supposed to get you thinking about what it could all mean, but what I can say is Escape One is the first of a trilogy of episodes that are gonna be our main story this season. Everything will tie together.

And thanks again, so much for taking the time to give us feedback man. It means the world to us.

Comment

Are you kidding about the white balance? It looks like a lot more than that!
                        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Canon T4i and Daylight White Balance setting.

It blows our minds too, but it's a whole lot of fun doing everything analog, in camera, seeing, to great extent, what you're gonna get in the end. Also, shallow depth of field just makes anything look better.

Comment

The midnight Room I caught on TV was very captivating and kept us all on the edge of our seats. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by MD Morgan View Post
                              The midnight Room I caught on TV was very captivating and kept us all on the edge of our seats. Well done!
                              This was on TV?
                              -AF

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X