One more time: reworked trailer for The Shadow Sea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more time: reworked trailer for The Shadow Sea

What I learned during critiques in art school was to take everyone's feedback and balance that with my own sensibilities. I did that with this trailer and here's the result. Another thing I should point out is that I'm not dealing with unlimited footage. It's not possible at this point to simply plug in another action shot or shot of someone saying something if I haven't already shot it. The only exception is if I can create the shot myself, which I did in a couple of instances here.
    So here it is. 40 seconds shorter than the last version. Have a look.
    p.s. I don't know what's up with the white in the thumbnail. While it looks pretty cool you'll see in the trailer that is a night shot. I'll have to figure that one out later.

Hey Rich, its not so much of replacing footage, but rather cutting footage out. 1:51 is a LONG trailer. The only reason the studio films do that is because they have about (at times) 50 million dollars in the film and they want to show all of the "cool" stuff.

I really do thing you need to cut this down to 1 minute.

You are going to have a great trailer, but it doesn't seem you cut much out - am I wrong?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I cut out 40 seconds, which is a pretty substantial cut-down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        I cut out 40 seconds, which is a pretty substantial cut-down.
        Hey Rich, based on what though? It could be a 5 minute trailer and 40 seconds is not enough.

I am just trying to help, but if you just try a 60 second trailer, you might see how it will improve

Comment

I think the sense that it's dragging is produced by the smokey tagline sequence. That starts at about 1:10 and takes a full 25 seconds to play out through the title. Then throw in another 10 seconds for credits (can't remove those due to promises made to enlist help).
          Remove those 2 elements and you have a 1:15 second trailer.

Comment

while I appreciate your argument for being concise I'm of a mind that what makes a piece work is not a particular length but whether it engages the viewer. I've seen knockout 3 minute trailers and 1 minute trailers that put me to sleep. It's all about the moving pictures. That said though, I'll give some more thought to maybe removing the 'smokey tagline' sequence. It may be too long an appendage for this shortened version. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              I've seen knockout 3 minute trailers and 1 minute trailers that put me to sleep.
              Exactly, so imagine a low-budget trailer -

Cut it down to 60 seconds, or even 30 seconds

That fact here now is you should just TRY it, and learn. Maybe your right, but how will you know if you never cut a 30 second or 60 second trailer?

Comment

You're getting there!!!! It's getting tighter! Dialogue is matching shots and that's good. I watched it about 4 times and I think I understand the part where he is looking out the subway window, then it cuts to her walking on the street with him at the table checking her out then helping her into a car...that is suppose to be his memory of her, right?

With regards to length... I think you may be thinking that you have to cut out entire scenes to make it shorter, thus sacrificing your goal of telling the story. But I think there are a few shots that you went back and added length to, aren't there? The first nude scene for example? And the footage of the railway showing the city can be shortened.

I think you are really polishing this trailer up very nicely. Hope you don't take the criticism as negative. I know what it's like to work so many hours on something, present it to the public and have them pick it apart. (Teachers are constantly being observed by the principal and then critiqued like no other! "Why was Johnny sleeping in the back during your lesson? Why wasn't be engaged?!! What are you going to do next time to engage Johnny and how are you going to measure his growth and learning and how are you going to show that to me???" "Umm...well first I'm going to give Johnny a whack in the back of the head, then make him drink a triple shot Americano from Starbucks before you walk into my classroom!" (LOL!! Sorry, flashbacks.)

Maybe step away from the trailer for a day or two then come back. Even scarier...DELETE IT and start from scratch!!

Overall I really do feel that you are getting closer to an impeccable trailer!! Keep it up!!!

By the way, have you posted the teaser for this on this forum? I saw watched it on YouTube and I really liked it!
                Last edited by SamuelR74; 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM. Reason: Additional question

Comment

Working...
                X