Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for feedback, tips and tricks :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for feedback, tips and tricks :)

Hello,

Me and my best buddy have been interested in making films for a long, long time, but only recently we decided to actually raise the bar a bit for ourselves and start on a bigger project. We've built a crane together as well as a dolly and a set of rails and started to experiment with it. As we're both quite into cars, our first project involves, you guessed it, cars... I've uploaded some stuff to my Youtube channel and I would like to know what you think. We really need some feedback from people who know what they're talking about :).

Here's the link to our latest short film:

Hope you enjoy it, and please leave a comment :)

Really well done. My question to you is what do you plan (or goal) to do with this?
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thanks :) Well, our primary goal was to just have fun and see what we could do with very limited resources... For instance, the camera's we've used to shoot this material are a JVC HD camcorder and two Samsung Galaxy Note smartphones. Weirdly, the latter seem to outperform the purposebuilt camcorder under most circumstances. We haven't really thought about what we'd like to do with our skills in the future, although after a few beers we did get into a bit of daydreaming about how cool it would be if we'd be making some sort of car show in the future... Also, some people have asked if we fancied shooting some video's of their own cars, mostly people with tuned cars, so car enthusiasts like ourselves.

Comment

Hey man, very cool!! I just love it when people make choices to go do stuff like this, this is EXACTLY how you guys will become very good at your filmmaking skills!

Not much to say really, you guys are new and you are showing your videos (Thats a good thing) The biggest thing is that you guys need to never stop, in your free time plan and go film. Once you are comfortable with all of your equipment start to write a 10 page short script. Then do your first script to screen with dialog. Learn from the short - learn why sound was bad, learn why lighting didn't work, learn why the story didn't work, or vise versa.

Keep it up and thanks for joining Filmmaker Forum
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Thanks a lot for your (highly motivating) comment :) Really appreciate it :) We'll definately keep on filming, we've only just started, so there's no stopping anytime soon, especially with summer approaching fast and the nice, sunny weather that comes with it... As a matter of fact, I've been doing some work on a script today for our first try at putting together a car show type program. Boy, writing witty dialogs about relevant info sure is hard! I'll keep you all updated about our progress every now and then. We need all the feedback we can get ;)

Comment

Looks great. My only suggestion would be to invest in a polarizing filter. I noticed some of the shots through the windshield were burning out in a hazy way. Beside, owning a polarizing filter is great for a lot of different elements. A polarizing filter is inexpensive and easy to master. Just don't forget to take it off for indoor and night shots.

Comment

I am EXTREMELY impressed! I have been a religious viewer of Motorweek for more than 20 years and watching your video, I could almost hear John Davis' voice talking about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times alongside that MotorWeek soundtrack! You have all the classic camera angles and shots you see in all automotive shows. One shot I would have loved to have seen is your driver working the clutch...especially if he knows how to heel-toe! Really enjoyed this video!

PS: I'm sure as a car fanatic, you have seen the legendary 1976 video by Claude Lelouch "Rendezvous." If not...it's a great video to watch!
              Last edited by SamuelR74; 04-25-2013, 08:21 PM. Reason: Additional infortmatiom

Comment

Hmmmmm another item to put on my wishlist ;) I've been wondering how to improve the view through the windscreen, so I guess I'll give your suggestion a try. And SamuelR, you gave me a great idea for a shot! Thanks a lot, this is exactly why I joined this forum! And you're right about Rendezvous, it's a great movie ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jaaptilgenkamp View Post
                  Hmmmmm another item to put on my wishlist ;) I've been wondering how to improve the view through the windscreen, so I guess I'll give your suggestion a try. And SamuelR, you gave me a great idea for a shot! Thanks a lot, this is exactly why I joined this forum! And you're right about Rendezvous, it's a great movie ;)
                  Oh good!! Happy to have inspired you! That's what we are all about here...helping each other out, right? Good luck sir!

Comment

Working...
                  X