Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Correction Test Footage and Critique.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Correction Test Footage and Critique.

I am wondering if you guys would take the time to watch this 14 second clip and offering a critique on the color correction. What works? What doesn't? How can I improve it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hmmm, I guess it kind of depends on the reason of the shot. But if you want to just compare to the original footage I find it much better, a little to dark though, but that might be what you are looking for, I dont know :)
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

It is a clip that was originally shot for my zombie film From the Core. I wanted to cut down a lot of the light and give it a more sinister feel without over using blue. Mostly I am trying to improve my editing skills for when we reshoot 90% of the short in the next two weeks. I am going to try new techniques this time around and don't want to mess that up with bad color correction.

Comment

Since this is basically my specialty lol.

First what program are you using to color grade?

I noticed the blur around the edges. It is ok to have them, but soften them up, make them fade into the shot, those are a little bit hard.

It was a little dark even for something like a zombie flick, I'd try to stay away from making anything too dark. I think that would work for maybe like a warehouse scene where you are just getting some fill i shots.

I really don't think super dark like that works well with people. Try adding or bumping your blue up and see if that helps.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

Thank you for your response. However I am not going to bump up the blues. I am sick of that look for horror films. The blur was intentionally done since I wanted to cut out the surroundings and have people focus entirely on that moment as it is a crucial scene in the film. That particular shot was edited in FCP X with Magic Bullet's Looks. I created a custom grade using the tools in there.

Comment

Well I'm glad you created your custom look and didn't just use a preset. Looks is just terrible when it comes down to their original.

And I wasn't telling you to get rid of the blur, I'm saying to tone it down. You made it too harsh, it in all reality becomes the focus because that is what the eye sees first because it is so harsh. I like the blur effect to try to create a focus point.

Also I wasn't meaning to bump up the blue to give it the horror film look, I was just saying to bump up the blues to tone down the dark, it is just a little too darkened down in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks Havey, I will take that into consideration when I actually edit the scene for the film. That was test footage we shot months back. We're set to shoot the actual film later this month.

Comment

I think Havey nailed it on these questions:

What works? What doesn't? How can I improve it?

Comment

I took some of the advice I have been given and created this version. I added film grain as a test in this one. Should it stay should it go? Also what works and what doesn't? I really appreciate all the help so far.

Comment

I think a way you can achieve the horror look would be by turning up the contrast and turning down the saturation a tad bit. I personally don't think the
                    blur was necessary. It draws the viewer there, but the shot only consists of him and lot of branches.. Given, I don't know the story, so it might be better
                    WITH the blur there. I hope this helped. Good luck! :D

Comment

There is no saturation in the shot at all but I do agree I missed the contrast a bit in it. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Based on my taste, I'm not a fan of vignettes. I like nice crisp textures, so the blur around the shot distracts me.

Comment

I think your getting their, I have to say that the blur around the edges are hitting his head, maybe try without the blur and just do color correction?
                          Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I wouldn't totally get rid of the blur if it is helping the shot out. Just because I don't know what scene it is or anything I can't tell you for sure.

But mess with your contrast a little bit. I do however like this a lot better than what you had!

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I have a general idea of where I am going with my color correction now. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X