Shawn4Ever (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn4Ever (2012)

I tried something more experimental. A lot of changes to the script happened on location too. Don't switch off after the first fade-out, the movie fades back in. There are two massive continuity errors in this that piss me off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC5WPxq1Pp8"]Shawn4Ever[/ame]

Shawn4Ever
    Last edited by Shawn Watson; 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM.

Since no one responded to this I thought I'd edit it with a fresher cut. Warner logo (which was only ever just a joke) now gone.

Continuity errors, sadly, remain.
    Last edited by Shawn Watson; 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Not bad, although is is somewhat long, and some shots are under and over exposed/shaky, the audio is dreadful, and it's a bit long. But it's an interesting concept, there's some nice shots, and I like the music + ending.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not working with Panavision Genesis or Red One cameras, dude. Nor did I have a massive crew. It was made with two pairs or hands so you'll have to forgive the shittiness of it. Plus the audio is all done on my laptop and I quite like how I mixed it for the most part.

Comment

You don't have to have nice gear to make something good. It doesn't matter what gear you have, but how you use that gear. Same goes with any art form in fact. A good painter with poor paints will do better than a poor painter with good paints.

Technique > Tool

The camera shake can be fixed with a DIY rig or tripod/monopod (minimum $10).
          The under/over exposure can be fixed with properly setting the exposure, ISO, and shutter speed.
          The audio can be fixed by either A) learning how to properly use your gear or B) doing some sweetening in your editor of choice. Some foley and music in the beginning and during the film's climax could help as well.
          The fact that it's slow and sometimes uninteresting can be fixed with tighter editing.

Just trying to offer some feedback. I apologize if I'm offending you in anyway, dude.

Comment

Jeezuz! Do you think I was born yesterday?

Are you suffocating? That can be fixed with...breathing.

Hungry? That can be fixed with...eating.

I don't come here to have you insult my intelligence, and despite what you think the equipment and budget, and pairs of hands that you have make a HUGE difference to the overall quality of the movie. I have since upgraded my equipment and my movies look better.

I am well, well, WELL aware of how shitty my movies look. Believe me, I am. But since this is an amateur film-maker forum and not the Oscars chat-room I figured people here might be willing to see past the technical shortcomings and enjoy the movie for what it is instead of condescending to me.

Honestly, I am not a freaking idiot and your post, however you intended it, was quite insulting.

Comment

take her easy, she's my lady, and that's all I wannnnnnnnt.... (Anchorman)

Take it easy guys, Shawn, this is a open forum where people can speak their opinion (without insulting)

As seen here, there are no harsh insults.

Originally posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post
              Not bad, although is is somewhat long, and some shots are under and over exposed/shaky, the audio is dreadful, and it's a bit long. But it's an interesting concept, there's some nice shots, and I like the music + ending.

Comment

I don't expect anyone to blow smoke up my ass, but critisizing my movies, or anyone's, for their low-budget nature and lack of professional sheen should not be allowed.

I never claimed to be making Avatar! I don't even think I could manage a Battlefield Earth. But listing shortcomings and then giving obvious solutions to them is insulting, plain and simple.

The lack of resources or people willing to help me and elemental factors will ALWAYS have a detrimental effect on my movies, and for Shawn4Ever I was running on bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Watson View Post
                  I don't expect anyone to blow smoke up my ass, but critisizing my movies, or anyone's, for their low-budget nature and lack of professional sheen should not be allowed.

I never claimed to be making Avatar! I don't even think I could manage a Battlefield Earth. But listing shortcomings and then giving obvious solutions to them is insulting, plain and simple.

The lack of resources or people willing to help me and elemental factors will ALWAYS have a detrimental effect on my movies, and for Shawn4Ever I was running on bare minimum.
                  We know this, and we enjoy your videos, they are fun to watch. Maybe just don't through gas on the fire if someone critiques your work :)

Comment

I'm sorry that I offended you Shawn. I'm not expecting you to make films that are of the quality of Hollywood features, nor did I come here to insult your intelligence or offend you. I'm just trying to offer feedback for a good short film that I think could be better. I like to give feedback and criticism as well as praise for aspects of the film I liked so that people can improve in the future.

Anyway, you seem like a talented guy, and I'll refrain from trying to help if I come off as offensive or insulting.

Comment

Shawn, when posting your work here, you are to expect that it will be judged.

Chimp didn't say "this shit sucks man."

He offered constructive criticism.

We are aware that you knew this wouldn't be Avatar. Just because there was some criticism doesn't mean that Chimp was being an asshole.

If we were being inpolite to you, I could see where your posts would be reasonable. But he simply was not.

So please calm down, if you can't handle constructive criticism, just don't post any of your work.

ChimpPhobia, thanks for staying classy in your posts.

Comment

You are welcome to criticize my movies from a storytelling or directorial point-of-view, but pointing out technical shortcomings just isn't fair. I am well aware of how bad they look, and I don't need anyone else pointing it out or telling me I need to do better.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	60166

I get a lot of abuse for having these ambitions. This is the most recent.

Comment

Bad equipment is obviously going to have an effect on the quality of the film. Many people say its not the equipment but unless you are some new Mozart or Mcguyver of filmmaking , getting to a high quality moment with bad sound, bad lighting, bad score, bad cinematography dosent seem likely.

Shawn to improve practically with your equipment and experience level, I would start emulating small moments of movies and TV shows to learn professional editing timing. Since you are working with below average resources, you can still learn pro editing techniques and boost the quality of your short films. In terms of feedback, Im not here to kiss your ass and say you did an adequate job. You did below average but alot of that has to do with your equipment and experience. I would make a list of all the things you can work on for now, keeping in mind the limitations of your equipment. Then when you purchase better equipment you will have a nice bag of cinematic tricks up your sleeve.

Also I think you get way to defensive on these posts. I get you are trying to protect your dignity and respect by putting everyone in their place but you just come off like a child whos insecure about their film and then try to protect their dignity with over sensitive defensive reactions. The irony is when I read your defensive posts I go from already respecting you to then seeing you as a defensive child. Relax, non of us are professional filmmakers either, so as much shit and feedback as you get from us, remember most of us suck at film making and are not at a professional level. Especially me. So take this comment and all our comments with a grain of salt and keep posting your movies so we have something to do during the day since non of us are on a studio set directing. Lol!

Comment

I really should have waited until I got my better camera and shot the film anamorphically. But the summer weather was against me, as was the help I had in making it. A LOT of Shawn4Ever really frustrates me when I watch it. I just got impatient.

And I don't think I am coming off like an insecure child. I was upfront about how I felt about it. What I don't like is people stating the obvious to me as I am a freakin' moron or judging my movie because it's not on the same technical level as Transformers.

I know how to frame a shot, I know how to edit video and sound, I know move from location to location. With Shawn4Ever MANY things were against me and I did the best I could manage.

Comment

Working...
                              X