FMF Film Festival: Questions and Concerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMF Film Festival: Questions and Concerns

So even though we would not be able to participate and hold a ceremony somewhere. I would like to announce that we will be having our first ever Film Festival on the site.

I am making this thread as a somewhat announcement thread for anyone who didn't know and this will be a good place to be able to ask questions and get answers.

I have decided to run the entire thing to make sure everything goes down smoothly. But of course, like everything, this site is about teamwork and community. So I definitely want everyone to be involved when it comes down to the decisions and rules that we will put into place when it comes to the competition.

Here are some questions I believe we need to go over as a group and decide on how we want this ran.

1. How many categories should we have?

2. How many judges should their be? I was thinking 5. But the audience and community will also have a say in it.

3. Prizes? I was going to get trophies and certificates.

4. Rules on video requirements. This is a BIG one guys.

5. Starting date and deadline period.

There are more and more questions that probably need to be asked but as of now those are some huge questions I think we need to get organized and answered before we move forward with anything.

Most festivals have a 20-40 dollar entry fee. I would like to say everyone wanting to enter can just throw in $10, which isn't much. And that will cover the cost of trophies, awards, ect.

EVERYONE participating will receive a certificate and the winners will get trophies. I think that is totally fair and it would be really cool for everyone to participate in this.

NOW... Even if you don't have an input on the rules but you still want to enter please tell me now. I'm going to try to get a solid head count of how many people will be entering, so just say so in the comments below.

This will be really fun guys, so lets get this thing going.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Approved :)
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I'm not sure if I will enter anything, but as I've said (twice,) I would be happy to judge. However, if we are doing something like moderators judge the first year, as someone already suggested, I completely understand.
      -AF

sigpic

Comment

Well I just really want everyone to agree on the rules. I really don't care if you judge, since its going to be 50/50 voting. Judges and community.

But we need to agree on rules and stuff as well.

Comment

In terms of categories: I would suggest first splitting it out by shorts vs. features (unless you decide just shorts, which is fine as well). A cut-off time for shorts could be 59 minutes.
          It's also possible to further sub-divide shorts by length of time (so separate the under-30 minute pieces from over-30).

I'd further break it down between narrative and documentary in each time period.

Beyond that, do you want to separate comedy from drama? And maybe go further and make a separate horror category?

There are no right or wrong answers, it's a question of how far to sub-divide.

You can also (but don't have to) give an overall "best movie" award.
          Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

Additional subdivide idea: Short short. (Either 15, 10, or 5 min. limit.)
            -AF

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the short short category. There's a pretty big difference in style and pacing between a film that is 10 minutes long and one that is 40 minutes long. It doesn't make sense for them to compete against each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Havey View Post
                5. Starting date and deadline period.
                I'm thinking this should be a yearly thing. If we did it too often, it would take away the prestige of the event. Maybe any film after, say, the 20th December could be eligible for the festival, and the winner could be announced on, or near, New Year's Eve.
                "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

We just can't have 20 categories guys. We don't have enough members for that and I'm sure that amount of people won't participate in general. So we need to really try to broaden down the categories and stuff.

I'm fine with doing a short and feature category. But I don't think we should break it down from there with genres. I think we should allow all types of genres, no matter what type.

Also I think if you submit a film it has to be somewhat new. Like you have to have made it within the past year.

And I think yearly is cool. I was going to say twice a year. Maybe do a summer and winter festival type thing, but whatever works for me!

Comment

So I'm going to go with 5 judges, then of course the community voting as well.

Myself and AF are set judges as of now. Need three more.

Comment

Originally posted by Havey View Post
                      So I'm going to go with 5 judges, then of course the community voting as well.

Myself and AF are set judges as of now. Need three more.
                      If you really really need another judge, I'm game. I'm not sure it'd be fair though with my inexperience. I know bits and bobs, but no where near as much as everyone else here
                      "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDisaster View Post
                        If you really really need another judge, I'm game. I'm not sure it'd be fair though with my inexperience. I know bits and bobs, but no where near as much as everyone else here
                        I think judges should contribute to the forum, and know at least something about filmmaking. I don't think experience should matter as long as you can give good feedback.
                        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
                          I think judges should contribute to the forum, and know at least something about filmmaking. I don't think experience should matter as long as you can give good feedback.
                          If everyone is alright with that, I'm up for judging
                          "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

I'm totally fine with that. And if we can't get 2 more set judges within the next week, I might just stick with 3. Thanks for volunteering guys!

Comment

Love this idea

Comment

Working...
                              X