How to sell a script?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sell a script?

Looking to sell a script? - Get in line!

I started a post in the talent section and thought I would start article. I am going to share the most insightful and thoughtful response to this very question - "How to sell a script?" Some may know this and some may not, so If you have experiences in selling scripts feel free to chime in.

I myself, as a producer find it hard to read stacks of scripts, and the most I have ever spent on a film was $1,000,000 - So can you imagine the big time producers? They have many screeners (sifters) that read though scripts to see if there any good. Most of which are scripts that come from friends of the producer, or friends of a friend. Sure there are the chances of getting your script picked up like "The BoonDock Saints" - But this is rare and to count on it will surely let you down.

So your script can be made for $1,000,000? This can be done by experienced indie producers easy.

But how do you get your script noticed?

Make a 30 second trailer with a nice little tease in there, and have marketable scenes in it. In my past ten years I have heard of success story after success story of scripts getting produced because they had a trailer. Think about it, send a script that can take hours of a producers time or send a 30 second trailer hosted on a website?

Im serious this ^ advice is priceless.

A few months ago I ate at applebees with Keith Kjornes, the writer of "The Devils Tomb" with Cuba Gooding Jr. - This was a time when I was looking for my next horror and had received stacks of scripts, even with script readers there was no way and time was being wasted. So here comes Keith with a web link and a produced trailer, and guess what, the next day we were having lunch and checking out locations. Though I chose to do a faith based film and not Reversal, I think you guys get the point.

In addition, continue to be active on this forum and things will work out.

If you have any questions or would like to add to this article feel free to leave a comment below.

Nick Soares
    Google

Related Articles

Get film investors

Getting into filmmaking

Making money with youtube Part 1

Making money with youtube Part 2

What does Netflix Pay?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Great advice Nick

Comment

Thank You Larry!

Comment

Someone else told me the same thing, and I didn't listen. I haven't had any of my features snapped up. Hm-m-m. . . wonder if there's a connection. . . wonder if I've missed a great idea. . .
        Last edited by Ralph; 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Hello Nick,
          Just found this site. It looks very interesting. Just written and directed a faith based action film and the production company aren't willing to make a trailer. I used to have hair!

Comment

Ricki, can you send me the screener? Or is it not edited yet?

Comment

Another way to sell a screenplay may be a test animatic. Check out the one I did for Amazon Studios. The download is much better than the streamed version.

Going Going Gone - "When a college freshman gets dumped because she refuses to go all the way, she puts her virginity up for auction to find out what it's really worth."

[ame=http://studios.amazon.com/movies/12768]Going, Going, Gone, Phil's Animatic (Test Movie 2) : Amazon Studios[/ame]

Phil

Comment

movie

Hi Nick,

It's not edited yet, but there is a sequence up on the website. If you go to Brokenfaithfilm.com, click on trailer, you will see the opening sequence of the film. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Ricki

Comment

Sanctuary

How do you produce a trailer? What is involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry W Drake View Post
                    How do you produce a trailer? What is involved?
                    Ill start a thread somewhere soon to help with that very question!

Comment

The question I have when I 'want to sell my script' is this one: we all love our written-babies, but what do you do when you're a first time writer. Do you sell our scripts/idea for a low(er) price to a lower-status company, or do you wait and hope for a bigger fish to bite?

Comment

Originally posted by RobDef View Post
                        The question I have when I 'want to sell my script' is this one: we all love our written-babies, but what do you do when you're a first time writer. Do you sell our scripts/idea for a low(er) price to a lower-status company, or do you wait and hope for a bigger fish to bite?
                        Well my friend, that is the million dollar question. There are so many variables to the question, but yea, I wouldn't dare tell you to sell to the small company, I dont know what you have.

Just remember - There are more scripts in the system then productions. But (busy) and smart (smart) producers are always looking for good content.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                          Well my friend, that is the million dollar question. There are so many variables to the question, but yea, I wouldn't dare tell you to sell to the small company, I dont know what you have.

Just remember - There are more scripts in the system then productions. But (busy) and smart (smart) producers are always looking for good content.
                          Well I think it's a dilemma that comes up with most of the first timers and I think you're right.

In my personal case: a small company wants to pay 2000$ for a treatment and I think I have a good shot to be chosen. But I just don't know yet if I want to sell my "super-idea" for 'just 2000$' dollar. On the other hand, if it would be sold I've got something to put on my cv ;)

Comment

Honestly, the (Ideas) good story ideas that is, are the hardest part to come up with. Producers look for the (Idea) of a script and will purchase the rights, then they will hand it down to their massive, talented, fast, writing team to write out the script.

But then there is another dilemma, there are more Ideas, then Scripts :eek:

This has and will always be a hot topic in the industry. I promised myself I wouldn't post here about my eBook because people are so quick to think im marketing myself, but this is a very real point I want to make. You should read my ebook and get like, $1,000 to $5,000. Then hire a team to shoot a trailer of your idea. I highly recommend only getting what you NEED, then go back to the book and fund the rest of your movie yourself to either complete it, or shoot more.

Nick

Comment

Nick, with this approach would you say it's better to do one 30 second scene that really captures what the film is about (say a good scare for a horror) or short cuts of numerous scenes. I know the guys who did saw did their trailer based on one scene with the reverse bear trap, wondering what your thoughts are?

Comment

Working...
                              X