Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips - Landing a Acting Gig

Wondering how to get an acting Job?

I will go over a few insights on how I hired my talent for my films.

So you think you have a chance in the movie industry? My first question is what do you have to show that proves you DO have talent- Headshots alone no long get you where they used to could, except for low budget films that aren't 100% what there doing and this can even hurt your chances at finding a acting job. How do I find my talent now? No I normally choose who to get in the audition room by viewing acting reels or even footage from a single scene. Talented casting directors, directors, producers, can tell when someone can act. Even if the footage is low-budget and has terrible sound, they can tell. They look for eye movement, confidence, facial jesters, etc... So don't stress about the footage or reel not have a 50 million dollar budget, directors want to see what they are getting into. If you don't have an acting reel or footage, go make one! Grab a camera make up some fun scenes and shot what you got, and land that acting job!

Does responding to craigslist ads work?

Yes. My last feature film we had Avan Jogia from "Spectacular!" submit. And I also use it to find talent at times. Though you have to be very careful on sending to anonymous CL ads, I always post my name on my ads and where they can contact me directly. If there is only a small amount of info and it looks suspicious I highly recommend not sending your headshot. They capture your image and your email when you do that. Legit ads will say who they are. I do use anonymous email to avoid random spammers, but always post in the craigslist ad who I am.

Recap - Go get some footage of yourself so the person hiring you can see you in action. Headshots alone are no enough. Keep an eye out for work, it is a tough industry and the competition is like no other. Oh and stay connected on here!

Thanks for reading, and if you have any thoughts or would like to add a reply please do so.

Nick Soares
    Google
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

I am an aspiring actor, and never really thought to get some footage. thanks

Comment

Definitely agreed with all the opinions expressed in Nickís post. Also, headshots can be very deceiving in terms of finding someoneís true good-lookingness. Iíve seen several headshots of what appear to be very attractive talents, who end up not looking quite as good in their reel. No shallowness intended, but thatís a bit of a pet peeve.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      I am an aspiring actor, and never really thought to get some footage. thanks
      You should consider grabbing a camera (really any camera will do) and putting together a dramatic monologue or something else that can help get your point across as to what you bring to the table as an actor. I've seen a fair share of undiscovered actors with loads of talent do this, and believe me, it can catch the attention of producers.

Good luck.

Comment

Bump

Comment

I run a small video biz in Los Angeles...and was thinking about adding actor demos to my roster of services. Anyone interested can contact me at: khathawayart[at]gmail.com

There are a few ways to go about it, but I thought maybe writing a short scene with 3 or 4 acting parts--then getting actors to agree to do the scene for a fee--then shoot and edit the scene...and each of the actors gets the video for their acting-sample reel.

I can also help put their reel together if they're not video-savvy.

Does this sound like something you actors out there would be interested in?

Kurt Hathaway
          -------------------
          VikingDream7 Productions
          Video Production & Editing

Comment

I already wrote to You : )

Comment

To any fledgling actors out there:

I recommend you get a headshot made..include any personal info, skills and experience on the back...these days this can be a two-page PDF rather than a hard copy. And, of course, include contact info.

Make sure the photo looks like you--don't have it touched up so it looks better. Filmmakers need to see you as you really are.

If you can manage it, make a short video of you acting...with other people is best...load it on youtube and pass the link around to those who may need actors. You can do a scene from a play or movie...or write your own--IF you know how to write, that is. It's best to have a filmmaker who knows what he's doing to make it look good. If it looks crummy, even good acting won't save it.

For experience, look around your town for an acting troupe or theatre company---ask what you can do to get on stage. It may mean cleaning up after shows at first, until you get a change to act on stage.

If you're in a town like NYC or LA, then contact as many filmmakers as you can, and send a YT link and a PDF of your headshot.

Kurt Hathaway
              -------------------
              VikingDream7 Productions

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

For tips on a good headshot vs. a bad one, see this:

Actors Headshots tips for an amazing shoot

Kurt Hathaway
                -------------------
                VikingDream7 Productions

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Out of curiosity, are electronic head shots preferable over printed photos? I know they're much less expensive to send and such, but I'm sure there are still producers, agents, casting reps, etc. who still like something they can hold in their hands. Would it be advisable for aspiring actors to have a few printed copies of head shots but primarily focus on the electronic version? Like I said, I'm just curious -- always looking for more knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ericNCwriter View Post
                    are electronic head shots preferable over printed photos?
                    It really just depends on the situation of the casting. Larger films require you to bring or send your headshot in a physical form, all depends on the casting directors wishes.

Comment

I mentioned above to make a PDF of your headshot-resume. A lot of people send me those two things separately---but they really should be in the same document, so that the resume is attached to the photo and won't get separated. You'd need to obviously make a new PDF as you add credits, but it's simple to do.

I'm a mac guy--so that's all I know.

For this to work, you need your resume in PDF format--and your headshot in PDF format. A doc and a JPEG won't work with this method. Only PDF files. A doc file can be made into a PDF by bringing up the print window....command-P. In the lower left you can save to PDF rather than print the document.

A jpeg can be converted to a PDF in photoshop or a number of free image editors. In Mac's preview app--open the jpeg in preview...save as..and select PDF from the dropdown....BOOM!

Now you have your headshot and resume in PDF format....

Here's how to merge or combine two or more PDF files into one PDF file....on a mac.

1. Firstly, open one of the pdf files [Headshot, resume or cover letter] in Preview. Preview is the default application that a pdf will open into so if you just double click on the pdf file it will usually open in Preview.

2. Now go to the menu at the top of the screen called ‘View’ and click on ‘Sidebar’ (or ‘Show Sidebar’ if you have Snow Leopard). Alternatively, press Shift-Command-D to show the thumbnails. This will make a sidebar appear on the right side of the window with thumbnails of all the pdf pages in it.

3. You can now drag the second pdf file (from a folder or from your desktop) into this sidebar window---and ON TOP of one of the page thumbnails, and it will be added to your pdf document as an additional page. Be sure to drag the new page-file on TOP of the THUMBNAIL in the sidebar.

You can now save it – use ‘save as’ to save a new document with the merged fles.

Kurt Hathaway
                      -------------------
                      VikingDream7 Productions

Comment

Working...
                      X