Film Industry BlackList - Is it real

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Industry BlackList - Is it real

The Film Industry Blacklist Does it exist?

Lets look into a few things you might have seen or heard, and lets truly consider if your name can end up on this so called blacklist in the film industry that can prevent you from ever finding work. A blacklisting can occur in any industry not only film, and not only in budget range of films. Blacklist occur from Studio films with budgets ranging from 50 million all the way down to to short indie films with a budget in the low thousands. The separation is needed because a star that was blacklisted in the studio genre can still get jobs in the indie genre, this happens all the time even if you might not realize it at times, but when a star happens to do a huge blockbuster and then all of a sudden they don't do a film for years, or their next film is in some cheaply made film then this might have had something to do with the blacklisting of their name.

A perfect example of someone getting blacklisted in the film industry is Troy Duffy - He happened to be filming a documentary during his rise to fame and his decent to nothingness again, it is called Over Night and I highly recommend anyone seriously wanting to get into the film industry to watch this film and see the power of the studios, and what blacklisting can do to you over night. So do blacklists really exist? Yes, in many different levels as well, from studios to indies thy do exist. They might not be a literal black book, but don't let that fool you.

Through my experience working at Universal Studios and producing indie films, I have heard it, seen it, and nearly got my own name etched in the little black book (I was able to plead my case and show it "wasn't me" and I was free to go) - Sound like a court hearing? Well lets just hope you all treat your higher ups with respect. As the saying goes in the film industry, "Never burn a bridge"

Nick Soares
    Google

Related Articles

How to sell a script

Get film investors

Getting into filmmaking

Making money with youtube Part 1

Making money with youtube Part 2

What does Netflix Pay?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

After reading your article I watched that DOCU Overnight and I have to say it was pretty good. But man that is just scary to have your life ruined like that. But anyway great article!

Comment

Hell, I can think of a few people right now I would like to put on the list. These are people that have burned me, or left me high and dry on projects. This is really uncool to do to people. Especially after you've paid them.

I think that people that do those sort of things (burning people), may well deserve to be put on a black list.

Comment

When I started to read your post I immediately thought "Yes it does, a documentary about Troy Duffy is all you need to watch"

Glad you posted this. I think this documentary is a MUST watch for any aspiring filmmakers/screenwriters/directors.

Update: You can watch it on youtube, just search "Overnight Troy Duffy". I would post the link but not sure if it's allowed or encouraged.
        Last edited by KGoodwin; 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM. Reason: updated with link

Comment

Originally posted by KGoodwin View Post
          When I started to read your post I immediately thought "Yes it does, a documentary about Troy Duffy is all you need to watch"

Glad you posted this. I think this documentary is a MUST watch for any aspiring filmmakers/screenwriters/directors.

Update: You can watch it on youtube, just search "Overnight Troy Duffy". I would post the link but not sure if it's allowed or encouraged.
          If its not legit, then don't post it :)

Comment

Ok, so I watched the doc "Overnight", and I would have to say it's obvious why he's was blacklisted, and really not surprising either.

Comment

Originally posted by KGoodwin View Post

I agree. It's a must watch for how not to act once you have your foot in the door.

Comment

You would be surprised how many people do not even know they are blacklisted, anyone who acts like an a-hole one time to someone up their has the chance to get blacklisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                  You would be surprised how many people do not even know they are blacklisted, anyone who acts like an a-hole one time to someone up their has the chance to get blacklisted.
                  Yes, and that guy had the sweetheart deal. Money for his script, director on 15 mil budget, casting, and final cut, and then he goes on to play Joe Hollywood to the helt. Screaming and cursing and acting like a total dick weed. Personally, I think he's an idiot. Hell, even William DeFoe told him to keep his mouth shut and he would't listen.

In truth, no one in any industry wants to work with an asshole.

Comment

Every industry has their black lists. Every company too.

Fortunately black lists don't have infinite reach. There are those who consider the source of a black list and might have that source on their own black list so if you're on the former's black list, it is actually like publicity.

In the end, friends will help friends and people will work with whom they like.

Comment

Yeah I feel like I might have gotten blacklisted myself just this past weekend.

I was working a project for a guy named Hakeem Stevens (never ever work with this guy). The guy kept pulling out the "signed agreement" card for a production he was working on. He never paid anyone, and when a person had a paid job that interfered with his production, he would pull this card out to force you to work for him, for free, and keep you from making any sort of money to help do things for yourself, like pay your bills, or go to your child's medical appointments when they were in the hospital, or drive your wife to the hospital because she was in labor with your baby. The guy was a real douche. Then after the production, he threatens to blacklist me because I wanted to prioritize my personal life over his shitty film.

So I guess I'll never work in film again, but honestly, if people like this exists. Who really wants to work in an industry where you are not allowed to have a personal life outside of a film set? Forget having a family, friends, or even a life really. Once you let yourself get tied up in the film industry, they never let you go without blacklisting you.

Moral of the story: If you don't want a life, become a filmmaker...

Comment

Working...
                      X