Just a Quick Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Quick Question...

Ok so I've really been pushing to get off my butt and make this Western film I've been talking about on here on and off. So far I've finished all the pre-production stuff...Location scouting, Storyboards, Revised Screenplay, Script Breakdown Sheet, Currently in the process of buying all these costumes at the cheapest price I can get them lol. As you can tell I'm a bang for my buck kinda guy, and My goal budget is 500 dollars. And after purchasing all the expensive costume stuff I'm at a solid 330 right now.

So now that all that's wrapped up, my question is what is the best order to take things in. Should I assemble my crew first and then my cast? or the other way around? Also, the scheduling part is going to be annoying as crap because I know people work, including me! lol *screw day jobs*

oh and I also forgot another question I had. When I'm auditioning people, and I want them to prepare beforehand with the script, I don't give them the whole screenplay right? lol wow I sound like a noob

Comment

just give them a page or two for the reading during your casting call.

Comment

Give them a few lines to go over. Try to find a part in the script where some emotion has to be shown though.

As for Crew vs Cast. Now really sure that it matters.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

When you give them the pages, be sure to give them pages for the character that they are reading for (i.e., not everyone gets the same pages).

Also, when they come in to read, you may fine that person x isn't great for the role that they came in for, but might be good for a different character. So you can ask them if they would consider reading for a different character. In that case, I usually give them a few minutes to review those lines whole someone else is auditioning, so they aren't reading completely cold.
          Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

You give them a scene or two, these are called sides. If you plan on hiring after one audition, a fairly easy, and a difficult scene. If you plan on call-backs (a second round of auditions) keep the harder scenes for that. The really bad actors (a lot of those) won't be able to act their way out of an easy scene. The so-so will do good on the easy scene and fail miserably at the harder scene. The good actors will glide through both with you thinking they're very good but... The naturally talented actors will make you feel like you should win an Oscar for being such a great screenwriter.

As far as order, try to get as many crew whenever possible. You have no budget, which is perfectly normal. You'll be surprised how many crew will agree to work for nothing but food and transportation, and then don't show up.

The actors are pretty set, because it's their face on screen, the crew don't really get any glory, and the morning of shooting, many will think "I'm too tired, I'm not going to show". It's just the way it is.

Good Luck on your shoot.

Comment

all great advice. I appreciate it guys :)

Comment

Sounds like an interesting project.

Will it be a feature or a short?

Is the $500 the entire budget for the production?

Will you be paying your cast and crew?

Comment

Originally posted by OffMindEnt View Post
                  Sounds like an interesting project.

Will it be a feature or a short?

Is the $500 the entire budget for the production?

Will you be paying your cast and crew?
                  1. It's going to be a short - Like 20min probably (I'm really only choosing a short because I want to build my resume, build contacts, etc, and will most likely move onto features later in my life)

2. Yeah it is. It actually works out though because I already have pretty much all the costumes & props purchased and am still under 400.

3. Yeah, I probably will pay them, but not much, as I still am a young guy just trying to get my feet on the ground in the industry.

Plus this is just for costumes and props. I already own all the equipment I need. Got that t3i, a homemade boom mic with a windmuff, a Zoom h1, and that home-made ghetto-tastic dolly! BOOM! lol

Comment

I'd love to make a western. I'm a huge western film buff--you can tell from my Avatar--and I do my hiking on an old movie ranch out here in LA where a ton of westerns were shot.

I have some pro Hollywood creds in editing and writing, if you want feedback on the script.

Kurt Hathaway
                    -------------------
                    VikingDream7 Productions
                    Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by khathawayart View Post
                      I'd love to make a western. I'm a huge western film buff--you can tell from my Avatar--and I do my hiking on an old movie ranch out here in LA where a ton of westerns were shot.

I have some pro Hollywood creds in editing and writing, if you want feedback on the script.

Kurt Hathaway
                      -------------------
                      VikingDream7 Productions

For sure man! If you want I can PM you the first few pages of the screenplay. But yeah, I'm a huge Western fan too. Probably not as knowledgeable as you, but I do love me a classic Western on a boring afternoon!
                      Last edited by MrJay10; 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

For sure man! If you want I can PM you the first few pages of the screenplay.

===============================

I can read the whole thing if you like. I think you said it was about 20 minutes--so that's not too much for me.

I'm also in the comics business a long time and I frequently read work by aspiring comics writers and give feedback when I have time.

I put my email in all my posts so folks can contact me directly anytime so I don't have to be on the lookout for PMs.

I'm at:

Hey! I just noticed I'm a gold member! Wasn't I a "Pro" before? Hmmm.

Kurt Hathaway
                        -------------------
                        VikingDream7 Productions

Comment

Working...
                        X