Advice Needed on Special Effects in Horror Flick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed on Special Effects in Horror Flick

Hello, my name is Max Huber and I am developing a Horror film about a alien monster that stalks and picks off a group of college students one by one.
    I have completed the script and have a original creature design plus concept art. Only problem is, I'm stumped on what the best way would be to bring the creature to life.
    Any advice on how to do it would be appreciated because I just mostly handle gore and stuff, never tried monsters before.
    Last edited by Max Huber; 06-20-2017, 09:14 PM. Reason: Update

A friend of mine made a horror film with a monster. The monster was improvised as well as they could do. The story takes place in dark tunnels and the darkness conceals some of the monster, if not most. The monster is never seen in it's entirety on the screen. This does 2 things: It hides any short comings of the monster. It also makes the creature even more menacing.

His film ended up with global distribution and a deal and funding to make 2 sequels.

The lesson here, at least the one I learned, is that your monster does not have to be perfect, it just has to look perfect on screen. How it was shot is what made the film a success. Of course the setting was a huge huge factor. Being shot in small tunnels gave the film the title of "The Most Claustrophobic Film Ever Made." (The film is CRAWL or DIE)

If you've been doing gore effects then you are creative. Go ahead and take a stab at something, anything, and see if you come up with something original. At minimum it should have a few fearsome aspects about it. After that a lot of the effectiveness is in how you shoot it.

Steven Spielberg said the reason you don't see the shark in JAWS for so long is because they couldn't get it to work. He also said the creative shots that they had to come up with to at least present the shark as being there made the film even more suspenseful and scary. That goes to show how not having what you need can end up improving your film by forcing you to come up with creative solutions.

I hope that helps out some.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the advice Steve, I really like that using darkness to conceal the monster idea. All helpful stuff:) Now I'm thinking about using some kind of puppetry for the creature.
      Last edited by Max Huber; 06-21-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Max, give me a shout if you need a creature-maker. Some examples of my work are in my post further down in this section of the forum. :-)

Dale Morton
        DMorton888[at]aol.com

Comment

Working...
        X