I need to know how to do something

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Pay Job I need to know how to do something

I am a new filmmaker and want to make my first, serious short-film. the problem is that their is something that this movie relies heavily on and I don't know how to do - space and planets. I wasn't to sure if this went under CG or VFX but I would really appreciate the help. I want to do something similar to this only with something like mars and a ship flying in from the right. (from 1:03 to 1:13)

Can anyone help or point me to any tutorials.

What experience do you have with editing programs?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Olander View Post
      What experience do you have with editing programs?

Steve
      I'm fairly good at Adobe Premire, very good at photoshop (if needed), but am a beginner in after effects.

Comment

Im also somewhat good at 3DS max and blender if needed

Comment

Being able to use those programs you should have no problem creating this. Are you looking to "draw" Mars? If that is your concern I cannot help you with that as I don't do computer graphics. Compositing together a star field, planet, and lens flare though should be pretty simple for you with Premier. Start with your star field, then either chromakey a shot of the planet or mask it in a clip above your star field clip. I am not familiar with Premier but I would imagine there may be a lens flare feature. If not you can download free lens flares just by doing a Google search. Put that image or clip above your planet clip. In most editing programs images stack on top of each other in the order you have them on your timeline.

Steve

Comment

Thanks man :)

Comment

Yes, not too complicated on after effects. I'm used to using Element 3d but if you have Creative Cloud then you can probably do it inside of after effects. Just add in all of the layers, create a camera, add some lights, space out the layers, and fly the camera through. I'm positive you can do all of this in a 3d animation software as well but I don't have experience with that so if you feel more comfortable doing that you should.
              -AF

sigpic

Comment

What you're talking about is a composition of at least two layers. The background planet with stars is one…the spaceship on another with either green screen or no background. If you want more bells & whistles you could have the stars on a separate layer in motion--or thrusters on the ship or lights or lasers blasting--this would add more layers--but it would look better. I do this kinda stuff all the time--it's tons of fun.

A super simple way is to have a photo or artwork of the space scene. And a flat artwork with the BG cut out in photoshop--and animate the ship moving across the screen over the space BG. IF you can get a green screen shot of a 3D ship moving in space even better…you can find those on youtube…many of them are actually pretty good. Key out the green screen and place it above the space scene and it'll get you started in the right direction. I've made a bunch of blaster lasers and thruster animation that may come in handy--and you're welcome to those clips...anyone here, for that matter. You may contact me directly, too--if you wish to get better info. khathawayart[at]gmail.com

~Kurt

Comment

I wasn't clear on the above post--I'm talking about layers in adobe after effects…can probably do it apple motion, too.

~Kurt

Comment

Models are also a great option. Films like Star Wars (1977), The Right Stuff, and a lot of the Star Trek franchise used model spaceships and worked out great.
                    As for the planet and stars, who doesn't love a good old fashioned matte painting or backdrop? Just a suggestion.
                    Hope your film turns out well!

Comment

Working...
                    X