Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a rolling boulder seem real?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a rolling boulder seem real?

Hello! I am petty new to filmmaking. I was wondering what the best approach would be to have a giant rolling boulder, (kind of like from Raiders of the Lost Ark) except when it's rolling, it hits the main character and explodes. Like literally, the main character gets hit by a giant boulder, and the bouder explodes around him. (He is immortal in a way) I have Blender and After Effects... I'm not sure if I should to model it or...? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Austin Hamilton View Post
    Hello! I am petty new to filmmaking. I was wondering what the best approach would be to have a giant rolling boulder, (kind of like from Raiders of the Lost Ark) except when it's rolling, it hits the main character and explodes. Like literally, the main character gets hit by a giant boulder, and the bouder explodes around him. (He is immortal in a way) I have Blender and After Effects... I'm not sure if I should to model it or...? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
    A lot of this is going to depend on your comfort level with the two programs you've mentioned.

One way you could go about this is first model the boulder in Blender - then animate it and have it explode as it crashes into a plane that will represent your character (unless your character is cgi as well). This plane you can set to not be visible. Once you've figured out the lighting, physics and environment you can then render this out and composite your main character into the scene using After Effects.

The other way would be to do everything in Blender and use it's compositing functions bringing your live action character into Blender.

I assume your character is a live person or are they cgi as well?

Comment

Yes my character is a live person, and I found a nice little cave a couple miles way from my house to film it in too! Thank you so much for the response it helped a lot. I didn't know if I had to go all cgi and model the boulder, or if there was another route I didn't really think of before that. In Indiana Jones, did they just have a huge prop boulder that they pushed around? That's my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Hamilton View Post
        Yes my character is a live person, and I found a nice little cave a couple miles way from my house to film it in too! Thank you so much for the response it helped a lot. I didn't know if I had to go all cgi and model the boulder, or if there was another route I didn't really think of before that. In Indiana Jones, did they just have a huge prop boulder that they pushed around? That's my guess.
        Yes I believe in the movie it was a prop boulder. Just make sure if you're filming in a cave that the cgi lighting matches that shot and if you're green screening yourself that you have enough lighting to get a good key otherwise there is going to be a lot of time consuming rotoscoping...

Comment

Working...
        X