Slow fade from b&w to colour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow fade from b&w to colour?

I've got a vision for a scene in a film I plan on making 10 years from now. The scene is supposed to slowly turn from black and white (which most of the movie will be in) to colour (which will only be in two key scenes). How can I achieve such an effect in software such as Premiere Pro or iMovie?

Just keyframe saturation from all the way down to normal.
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Not to be argumentative, but I think it's safe to assume that there will be completely different/better software available 10 years from now.
      :)
      Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

Originally posted by mara View Post
        Not to be argumentative, but I think it's safe to assume that there will be completely different/better software available 10 years from now.
        :)
        But then again After Effects has been around for 11 years, and you can still keyframe saturation :D
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Yes, if you shot in color then edit in post to B&W, like AF said just key frame back to color at the appointed time you want it to show up. you can do it slow or fast. It is really up to you. This would be a easy task for Premiere or After Effects. iMovie I do not know anything about, sorry...

Comment

I tried it in Premiere, if this is what you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSeO...ature=youtu.be

Comment

That is what i was thinking about and you can adjust the speed of the transition by the keyframes... Thanks alot ironpony for the example.

Comment

Your welcome. You can also give the movie a higher contrast for black and white, since black and white photography has higher contrast, and just lower the contrast, as you fade to color. I did that in the clip as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FokkerTISM View Post
                  I've got a vision for a scene in a film I plan on making 10 years from now.
                  Pardon my curiosity, but why wait 10 years?

Admittedly, I have a pet project that was originally conceived more than 10 years ago, has been in the development stages for about five years, and in production for over two, but I never really had a set time-table for it to happen. Since it's a personal film that I'm doing largely on my own, it's always been "it will happen when the time is right"

What are you waiting on that will take 10 years to come to fruition? I say this because in all likelihood your interests will be totally different 10 years from now, especially if you're now young. 10 years is a very long time in advance to plan for one specific effect in one specific scene.
                  Matt Crunk
                  Writer/Producer/Director/Actor
                  Fiveacre Films Productions

Comment

I'm only a teenager just yet. I will put the film into production when I'm old enough and have the funds and equipment.

Besides, with "Bad Boy Bubby", Rolf de Heer came up with the idea in 1983, collecting ideas throughout the 1980s, and in 1991 wrote the script.

Comment

Originally posted by ironpony View Post
                      I tried it in Premiere, if this is what you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSeO...ature=youtu.be
                      The ffect shown in the video is exaactly what I was talking about.

Comment

Okay well the effect can be done in Premiere Pro. Basically you just cut the shot in half, and color grade the first half to B & W. Then you put a 'film dissolve' over top of the cut, and stretch it out to how long you want the dissolve from B & W to color, to last. If this makes sense.

Comment

Nice helping there ironpony!

Comment

Ironpony nailed it before I was able to suggest it. The dissolve does all the work for you. I do this sometimes in music videos.

Kurt Hathaway
                            -------------------
                            VikingDream7 Productions
                            Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Ironpony nailed it before I was able to suggest it. The dissolve does all the work for you. I do this sometimes in music videos.
                              You might also want to play with other looks.....threshold, posterize, etc, in the first part to get something flashier.

Kurt Hathaway
                              -------------------
                              VikingDream7 Productions
                              Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X