No announcement yet.

Techniques I've always wondered about.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techniques I've always wondered about.

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help on how to execute these commonly used techniques in tv shows and films. The first one is passing through a wall from one location to another, I guess sometimes the walls are big enough in width that they eventually can just cut when the shot gets completely dark, but sometimes it's also thin enough so that both locations can be seen on either side of the wall. Another technique I was wondering about is how to have one actor in a shot, camera moves without cuts to another shot and the actor is there again, this was in Suits when two characters in present day were talking about a moment that happened 10 years prior, and the camera moves from one part of the diner to another, where they are again, only 10 years younger. And finally, how to manipulate audio such that it sounds like the disorientation ringing and dull voices you hear after something loud like a gunshot goes off close to you. Thanks!

I will do my best to offer some ideas/tips.

The pass through a wall shot can be done pretty simply. Two ways would be;

1. Have a flat (stage/set wall) that separates your two locations, and just track/dolly/slide past it.

2. Track/Dolly/Slide as far as you can to one side of the set/room, wipe with a few black frames, and cut to a reverse slide into the next location from an opposing wall (the opposite direction, of course)

For the repeating character pan shot, Robert Rodriguez has a great 10 minute film school segment, that kind of explains this idea in the very beginning, here:

http://youtu.be/TsPW8-YNDSk
    The part I'm referring to is only from 0:15 - 0:40, however the rest is awesome and informative/intriguing as well.

You see him quick pan from Antonio and the two thugs, to black, and the second shot is, from black, to Selma, and when edited together, the effect comes across perfectly. I don't know the shot from Suits that you're referring to, but I would bet that there is some kind of wipe in there.

The only other way I know of to pull it off, and it's not cheap, is with a motion controlled camera rig. Basically, a computer controls the pan/movement of the camera, so that the exact same tracking/panning can be done over and over. On take one, you film the shot with actors in place 1, and run the movement sequence, then reset with actors in place 2, and run the identical motion sequence again. Then put them together in post and, viola!

Comment

MakeFilmsOrDie that was an extremely useful video! Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

If you want both scenes in the same shot, all you have to do is animate a mask inside a compositing software like After Effects.
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X