No announcement yet.

How to cut between scenes using doors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut between scenes using doors?

Hi All,
    I would be thankful if someone could share some tips & tricks on how to film and edit the following scene.

I have a character who will be entering the door standing in the middle of the field or forest (it will be full door, no window in it). When the character opens the door and goes through it the camera follows her/him and behind the door the surrounding changes into a completely different location (i.e. downtown landscape).

Not sure if I'm being clear on what I want but the result should look as someone would go through the door from the forest to the city or to the room or anywhere else. Something like in the movie The Adjustment Bureau but without using special effects worth millions of dollars and hours of rendering.

There must be a smart way to do it to make it look descent.
    Cheers
    Rafal

green screen on the other side of the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
      Mick nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
        Do this, then cut to a shot of him actually in a forest, maybe green screen in the door. Voila!
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

I was actually thinking how to do it without green screen. I don't have enough knowledge to edit it the way it will look perfect and I'd rather avoid something looking poorly
          Instead I would rather cheat the audience somehow. I was thinking about a camera sliding behind something that would cover the door for a second (tree? door frame?) and then show it again on the other side by merging the same kind of slide from the other scene.

Or the move the camera from the whole person and zoom on the hand on door handle, open the door and come through it together with the character. Hand on the door handle would be already taken from the second scene. Ideal matching of colours and light is the problem I see here however.

Comment

I reckon learning how to use a green screen would be the easiest option, the other solution could be more complicated and might not look as good on film. Try recording the actor going through the door in the forest from the side of the door, making sure that only one side of the door is visible, and then cut to a similar clip of the actor walking out of the door in the second location, only from the side of the door that you did not record in the first shot.

That was worded to the best of my abilities, sorry in advance for the confusion
            "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

I love these kind of questions, makes my brain work!

I think like the others said, with green screen

OR

There are creative ways to do this without green screen, but its not exactly like you would want though with the camera.
              Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

OK, I think I just thought of the solution! Just shoot the main character walking out of the door and past the camera in a pretty tight shot, and then cut to a shot of a forest, and have the character walk past the camera into the frame. This is similar to Master Disaster's idea, but you don't need to show the door.
                -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all replies and ideas. I'll see what I can come up with and post the link to the clip when ready.

Comment

I cant wait to see what creative idea you come up with

Comment

As the character moves toward the door in location A...move in close to their back.

Then when shooting at location B...move out from close on his back to reveal the character in the new location.

In editing do a dissolve while close on the back to hide the cut to make it look like one longer shot.

I think they did this in Wizard of oz when going from BW to color. Dorothy in the door.

Or you could use cuts. Wide shot of doorway in location A--as he reaches for knob, cut to a close up of knob as he turns it...but shoot this in location B--widen out to show location B. Could even insert a shot of guy looking through the door, but with the location A behind him in the BG. This would kinda mix both locations together. Forest to city or whatever.

Many will be fooled by the "creative geography" and will think it's all one shot without realizing it's a cutting trick.

Kurt Hathaway
                      khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

I agree with khathawayart. Specifically, cutting to the CU of the door knob. Definitely the most fool-proof method.

Comment

You could zoom over the actors shoulder until you cant see him anymore and just motion track the door , place the other footage inside then transition into that footage, if you know what i mean.

Comment

Working...
                          X