Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step-by-step tutorial on how to do explosions in iMovie

Here's a useful tip!
    If you have imovie and want to add an explosion, here's what you do!
    First, make sure advanced tools is switched on (imovie then preferences or cmd,)
    Then, take the footage you want to add an explosion to and put it in a new project
    Then, take the explosion you want to add and drag it over the point needs to be at in your footage. Remember, the explosions have to be over a green screen! A good one is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpw84tj0CbA
    A small list will come up with green screen, blue screen etc. you need to click picture in picture
    Then adjust the size of the picture to what you want it to be, and where you want it to be
    Then you need to get a green picture (same colour as a green screen) and drag it into your project
    Drag the explosion from over your footage, to over the green picture
    Now, export the video, and drag the exported video into another event.
    Now, select the part where the correctly adjusted explosion over the green screen comes up and drag it over the footage, but instead of clicking picture in picture, click green screen!
    Now export this video, and you should be done!
    SurvivalshortsHD

If anyone wants a video tutorial, just ask and I'll make one!
    SurvivalshortsHD

Comment

My first explosions were not green green clips. I think it was against a black background...so I changed the blend mode to screen {I think that's the one}--which makes the black see-thru so I could see the scene clip under it...but it also fades the explosion a bit, too.

So to counteract, I made an inverted BW counter-matte in AE to put under the first explosion clip...changed the blend mode on that too...but I forget to what. The explosion was crisper, then. I was borrowing the logic from old Film optical printing techniques, but it worked.

It worked great...but I had to use AE to make it work. Though one could, I think, make a similar counter matte by adding the invert, grayscale and threshold filters to the second explosion clip. Does iMovie have filters like that? I know FCP does.

Just another way if you can't get green screen clips.

Kurt Hathaway
      khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by khathawayart View Post
        ... the blend mode to screen {I think that's the one}--which makes the black see-thru so I could see the scene clip under it...
        Yup!
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

I honestly wish iMovie was that complex! But it's extremely simple, and don't think there is a way to get explosions with black backgrounds to work :-/
          SurvivalshortsHD

Comment

A tutorial for FCP X explosions would be great if anyone has any experience with that, what if you wanted an actual object or animal or creature to explode as in not really fire but bits breaking off? I guess that's more of an after effects thing but wondered if it's possible in FCP X

Comment

Originally posted by HDocks View Post
              A tutorial for FCP X explosions would be great if anyone has any experience with that, what if you wanted an actual object or animal or creature to explode as in not really fire but bits breaking off? I guess that's more of an after effects thing but wondered if it's possible in FCP X
              I second that

Comment

Working...
              X