Need a Legit Muzzle Flash Effect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Legit Muzzle Flash Effect

Can someone point me to a place where I can find a legit muzzle flash, preferably one that looks like it's from an old western flick. So alot of smoke almost like a mini cannon lol. I'm willing to purchase a SFX package or something, because the only legit one I found is on detonationfilms.com and it like pixelates when I chroma key it -_- lol

I do believe that Klay M Abele will be able to answer that for sure. Give him a shout
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

sweet! thanks :P

Comment

I have one in 720p I'll give you. It doesn't have a lot of smoke, but I also have a puff smoke effect you can add to it. Where do I send it to?

Comment

If you want stock footage, I would look into buying Action Essentials or getting something from detonation films.

-AF
          -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Director View Post
            I have one in 720p I'll give you. It doesn't have a lot of smoke, but I also have a puff smoke effect you can add to it. Where do I send it to?
            Sweet, either try and send it to my email (justyn.bell[at]gmail.com) or you can dropbox it to me if the file is too big. Just private message me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox folder. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrJay10 View Post
              Sweet, either try and send it to my email (justyn.bell[at]gmail.com) or you can dropbox it to me if the file is too big. Just private message me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox folder. Thanks!
              Not a problem, but it will be after 6 PST. I'll send it to you then.

Comment

Ive been watching this topic, anyone find a good source?

Comment

Videocopilot.com has a bunch sold in sets...but I don't know if they have any that would fit a wild west scene.

But as Director said, you can use a non-descript muzzle flash and add the smoke in another layer. Depending on the year the scene takes place, they may be using non-smokeless powder resulting in a LOT of smoke.

In later years, not sure when exactly--pretty sure post Civil War, smokeless powder was introduced...but it still made smoke--just a lot less.

Kurt Hathaway
                  khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Depending on what weapon it is you can get away with finding a .png on google of a muzzle flash and inserting it as one frame, ste its transfer mode to screen or color dodge, duplicate it, turn the transfer mode to screen, fast blur the duplicate until desired glow, duplicate the footage, trim it to one frame as well, set its transfer mode to Add, and mask where the highlights of the glow from the flash would be, feather the edges of the masks, and adjust the opacity of the duplicate footage. Viola! You should be set.

Additional: Add curves to the muzzle flash and adjust the reds and alpha channel to desired visibility. Look at reference photos to get a realistic look.

Hope that didn't confuse you! Or you can just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDx83vsLLKk

Comment

What did you find at det. films? I want to see if it pixelates for me too, or if it might be a problem with your particular download or compositing software.
                      -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
                        What did you find at det. films? I want to see if it pixelates for me too, or if it might be a problem with your particular download or compositing software.
                        It's called like cannon fire I think is the name. The film is going to be in black & white and I did a test to see what it looked like and it would pixelate at the end of the footage whenever I chroma keyed it on Vegas Movie Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Klay M Abele View Post
                          Depending on what weapon it is you can get away with finding a .png on google of a muzzle flash and inserting it as one frame, ste its transfer mode to screen or color dodge, duplicate it, turn the transfer mode to screen, fast blur the duplicate until desired glow, duplicate the footage, trim it to one frame as well, set its transfer mode to Add, and mask where the highlights of the glow from the flash would be, feather the edges of the masks, and adjust the opacity of the duplicate footage. Viola! You should be set.

Additional: Add curves to the muzzle flash and adjust the reds and alpha channel to desired visibility. Look at reference photos to get a realistic look.

Hope that didn't confuse you! Or you can just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDx83vsLLKk
                          Hey, anything helps! I appreciate the tips and tricks though :P

Comment

Originally posted by MrJay10 View Post
                            It's called like cannon fire I think is the name. The film is going to be in black & white and I did a test to see what it looked like and it would pixelate at the end of the footage whenever I chroma keyed it on Vegas Movie Studio.
                            Is it from the front or the side? (There are 2.)
                            -AF

sigpic

Comment

Is this the correct link to where you got it, and which one is it? The cannon blasts are towards the bottom of the page, if I am looking at the right site. http://www.detonationfilms.com/UnitK-2.html
                              -AF

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X