X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleazypanda
    started a topic need a better way to do this

need a better way to do this

so im making a mini series for youtube and i need a little help with something.

so basically what im doing is overlaying spells from a video game into a live action shot and the only way i can think of to do this is to take the same shot in the video game as i did in real life and cut everything out but the spell in photoshop for each and every frame and drop it over the live action shot. now this will take freakin for ever and i can totally do it i was just wondering if anyone here had a better idea for doing this or if im just an idiot and have overlooked something so simple.

a buddy of mine said i could create the effect in "insert program name here" and then drop that in the frame but i have no idea how to create a 3d object im not a graphic designer.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows of a simple program that can create this image that is free and very user friendly cause like i said i have never done that before that would alsso work

thank you,
    Sleazy

• leetvfilms
    replied
    haha no prob man! Post your results when you're finished :)

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    Originally posted by thewhixfx View Post
    It would be best to initiate that effect in WoW in a dark area where the background is really dark or even black. That way you can bring it into After Effects and change the transfer mode to screen which will overlay the effect on to your footage.
    thank you for the advice the mod im useing actually allows me to change the environment in any way i want so i can actually make the screen pitch black and i didnt even think about do it. thank you so much u just saved me a couple hours

Leave a comment:

• leetvfilms
    replied
    It would be best to initiate that effect in WoW in a dark area where the background is really dark or even black. That way you can bring it into After Effects and change the transfer mode to screen which will overlay the effect on to your footage.

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    i can get after effects very easily but ive never used it before could i do this, if i just mess around with the program for a while. i taught myself to use photoshop and premiere can i do the same with after effects

Leave a comment:

• Nick Soares
    replied
    Ok, the only way I can think of to perform this is....

Capture the frost spell in the game

Color Key out all colors but blue hues

Now you should have just the frost spell in motion and nothing else

Take that layer and add it to what ever you want (keep in mind the angles of which the frost is flying because that will effect the final product)

___

So that ^ is what to do, do you have to programs to do it, I dont know. Do you have After Effects or FCP?

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    it will be moving as it does ingame

Leave a comment:

• Nick Soares
    replied
    Ok, question. When you say "overlay" do you want the frost to be moving as if in the game? Or do you just want the image?

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    ok thank you very much

Leave a comment:

• Nick Soares
    replied
    Ok, just read up on this thread and I am checking out your example, and I will see if I am understanding everything correctly... Stand By

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    see thats the problem im not using any programs other than the game (world of warcraft) and a simple mod that allows me to detach the camera from the character and move it around. and then photoshop to take everything out of the shot other than the spell.

Frostbolt - Spell - World of Warcraft.
    here is what the spell looks like(very sorry if im not allowed to use links)

now is a luma key effect a compilation of standard images that u can use...cause i cant do that it has to be the spell. cause if i just use something that looks like the spell ill just get flamed...everyone here should know how the internet can be :)

i am a complete novice at this by the way this will actually be my first project

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Maybe you could try a Luma Key effect? how bright is the frost?

What software are you using?

Leave a comment:

• Sleazypanda
    replied
    no its actually a game called world of warcraft...and the main one im really worried about its a spell called frost bolt...cause everything else will be mainly crowd control spells which will make the person stand in place which is no problem to drop over a couple frames where as frost bolt will move across the screen

sorry i didnt explain a little further

Leave a comment:

• Paul77
    replied
    When you say spells from a video game, are you talkin like Harry Potter spells?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X