Warning: Use of undefined constant THIS_SCRIPT - assumed 'THIS_SCRIPT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/filmmakerforum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(369) : eval()'d code on line 25 The Difference Between Special Effects and Visual Effects - Filmmaker Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Difference Between Special Effects and Visual Effects

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Difference Between Special Effects and Visual Effects

This will be a featured thread in the SPFX forum to allow easy access for new users.

What is the difference between Special Effects and Visual Effects?

Special Effects are anything physical that can be implemented into the actual filming process

Visual Effects are effects that are later added in post production on the computer

These can get confusing and even after 10 years I still get them backwards every once in a while
    but I normally correct myself after a face palm. To help remember, just think of the "V" as virtual
    and you should be good.

Wiki --- Special Effects Visual Effects

• JHar888
    replied
    ^ Yes, that was the situation with Return to Sleepaway Camp. The practical effects were very weak, and took years to be improved to meet director Robert Hiltzik's expectations. When watching the film, the effects still look a little off, and it's really hard to tell how bad the effects actually were before post-production.

Leave a comment:

• Isomer
    replied
    The line between the two is a bit blurred now because a large percentage of real world practical "special" effect also goes through a post production layer of visual tweaking for the final product. So ultimately almost all effects get the post production 'visual effects' process. So when referring to the physical elements in front of the lens, I too tend to more frequently call them 'practical effects' simply to avoid any confusion about what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• khathawayart
    replied
    I'm with JST.

I call on-set effects practical effects....from old Hollywood jargon.

It's easier to remember that "practical" is in front of the camera. A flipped car, a guy in a rubber monster suit, shooting blanks from a pistol, etc.

A visual effect is still a special effect, after all....just a post-production one.

But of course, anyone can use whatever term they want as long as the crew understands.

Kurt Hathaway
    khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• Havey
    replied
    I'll give you an example.

Real life explosions, building blowing up, ect. That people actually blew up and filmed. - Special Effect

During the editing process they create explosions using a program that the VFX guy adds himself. - Visual Effect.

Leave a comment:

• Jsthompson79
    replied
    By the definitions given above yes. You will sometimes hear special effects called practical effects as well.

Leave a comment:

• Troy
    replied
    As an example a styrofoam rock being thrown at someone in the film would be special effects but if it was rendered and placed into the film it would be visual effects.

Is that right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X