(Poll)How long does it take to write your script

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Poll)How long does it take to write your script

Just thought I would run a poll on roughly how long it take for people to write a script...
    More then a month
    62.96%
    14-28 days
    16.67%
    7-14 days
    7.41%
    1-7 days
    12.96%
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Definitely more then a month for me

Comment

Are we talking first draft or finished product?
      Or more importantly, how long for something we think is good and can sell, or something we throw to Amazon studios in the vain hope it wins something?

Comment

Hmm, I guess the average?

Comment

when writing a script myself, I find I get bad writers block about 2-3 times that puts me back a few days each time

I think I try to make sure its so original etc.. That might be why I get writer block so bad sometimes

Comment

I think you can spend so much time on a script with writing, and re-writes that by the end you're just sick of it and need to take a break from it before you go back and finish it off

Comment

Oh, man. I'm all over the map.

I've spent years on a script; I've also cranked one out in a week.

So many factors: Did I outline the thing first or shoot from the hip? Is someone waiting for it or is it a side project? Am I working with someone else or on my own? Is it for an indie film or studio project?
              2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Really depends on the length of the film and how much detail the writer decides to put into it.

but I would say on average about a month for most people. The one I have been working on has kind of been a work in progress over the course of 3 months.
                http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

My last feature took 10 mos of my spare time (I have a 'regular' FT job), but I know I could've cranked it out quicker if I'd have managed my time better.

Comment

William Goldman says write it as fast as possible - maybe 5-7 pages a day if you can. You should be collecting as much info and writing it down etc. before you write so prepare yourself firsthand, or you will get that famed writer's block.

Comment

Originally posted by pkillam View Post
                      William Goldman says write it as fast as possible - maybe 5-7 pages a day if you can. You should be collecting as much info and writing it down etc. before you write so prepare yourself firsthand, or you will get that famed writer's block.
                      Great info! Thanks!

Comment

I've finished a feature script in 3 days before. It usually takes me no more than a week. I don't think I've ever gone over a week before.

Comment

My best time is 10 hours, my longest is about 30 hours. A six pack of beer and some smokes gets the job done. I like to bang out what is in my head as fast as i can before i lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw View Post
                            my best time is 10 hours, my longest is about 30 hours. A six pack of beer and some smokes gets the job done. I like to bang out what is in my head as fast as i can before i lose it.
                            hhwaaaaattt!

Comment

When Goldman wrote "A Bridge Too Far" he had to have it ready to go for shoot in a very short time because the producer (Levine) wanted to have it open on June 15, 1977. Attenborogh worked as the director every day for 2 straight years traveling from London, to Holland, to New York, to LA - 16 hours a day 7 days a week to make this gem of a movie work.
                              That said - So you still want to be in the movie business?

Comment

Working...
                              X