Log Lines From Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Lines From Hell

I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of log lines people can come up with. This is open to everyone.

Rules:
    1. Log lines must be originally yours, not from a movie.
    2. You only have a log line and no script.
    3. Log line must give enough information so people know what the movie is about.
    4. It must be in as few words as possible.
    5. It must be in one continuous sentence (commas are allowed, but punctuation must be correct)
    6. Log lines become public domain and anyone can write a script from the log lines.
    7. Log lines must begin and end in quotation marks.
    8. You are allowed to critique log lines, but not criticize.
    The rest of the rules we'll make up as we go along.

And so, without further ado, here's my first log line. I wrote it in about 7 minutes this afternoon:

"A timid software engineer creates a computer program that takes on a life of its own and begins to maliciously text vulnerable people, persuading them into committing suicide."
    Last edited by Director; 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM.

Originally posted by Director View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of log lines people can come up with. This is open to everyone.

Rules:
    Log lines must be originally yours, not from a movie.
    You only have a log line and no script.
    Log line must give enough information so people know what the movie is about.
    It must be in as few words as possible.
    It must be in one continuous sentence (commas are allowed, but punctuation must be correct)
    Log line become public domain and anyone can write a script from the log lines.
    Log lines must begin and end in quotation marks.
    You are allowed to critique log lines, but not criticize.
    The rest of the rules we'll make up as we go along.

And so, without further ado, here's my first log line. I wrote it in about 7 minutes this afternoon:

"A timid software engineer creates a computer program that takes on a life of its own and begins to maliciously text vulnerable people, persuading them into committing suicide."
    Reminds me a little of Echelon Conspiracy with a dark twist, and more background information. I like it.

Comment

Jenna, a single mother of two finally gets a vacation away from her stressful life, everything is going great until she realizes she has a sudden growth in her eye. As time goes on she slowly begins to understand it is not a growth, but a parasite that is trying to consume her body.
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
        Jenna, a single mother of two finally gets a vacation away from her stressful life, everything is going great until she realizes she has a sudden growth in her eye. As time goes on she slowly begins to understand it is not a growth, but a parasite that is trying to consume her body.
        Nick, how about:
        "A newly divorced mother on the brink of reclaiming her life from an abusive relationship discovers a growth in her eye that turns out to be an alien parasite possessing her body."

Comment

Nick, how about:
          "A newly divorced mother on the brink of reclaiming her life from an abusive relationship discovers a growth in her eye that turns out to be an alien parasite possessing her body."
          Much better, I was never one to write log lines but I see you have quite a talent :)

Comment

Haha Nick didn't follow the RULES! Shame Shame! -- Great thread Director

"A group of high school students investigate a campus suicide. As they get closer to solving the case they begin to realize strange events happening to all involved"

Log Lines are HARD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Haha Nick didn't follow the RULES! Shame Shame! -- Great thread Director

"A group of high school students investigate a campus suicide. As they get closer to solving the case they begin to realize strange events happening to all involved"

Log Lines are HARD
              Yes, Nick broke some of the rules, but so did you. Look at rule #5. But that's all right. The purpose of this exercise is to help each other to become better at our writing craft.

Now, here's your log line rewritten. I'm not saying it's better, but I'm just trying to follow my own rules :)~

“Strange events occur when a group of underachieving students investigate the bizarre events surrounding a fellow classmate's suicide.”

Can you pick out the irony in the log line?

Comment

Wow director you are really good at this, I'm serious.

Comment

I like this...
                  Here is mine.
                  "A serial killer begins killing people who illegally download horror movies in order to dispense justice."
                  I will add a tagline to this:
                  Piracy kills film industry, now it kills you.

Comment

Thanks Nick.

Comment

In the spirit of rule #4

"Ex proves she is a ho."

Comment

Originally posted by kevinAvis View Post
                        I like this...
                        Here is mine.
                        "A serial killer begins killing people who illegally download horror movies in order to dispense justice."
                        I will add a tagline to this:
                        Piracy kills film industry, now it kills you.
                        Nice Kevin, you added the irony.

How about:
                        "A serial killer codes movies with hacking tags to track people illegally downloading movies to dispense his own form of cruel justice.”

Comment

Originally posted by onthebubble View Post
                          In the spirit of rule #4

"Ex proves she is a ho."
                          How about:

"An man's ex-wife takes a test to prove she is a whore by taking an oral exam."

:)~

Comment

Well yeah i think both will do the trick.
                            Let's say you've just decode my logline... :)

Comment

How about:

"An man's ex-wife takes a test to prove she is a whore by taking an oral exam."

:)~
                              "A man's ex-wife takes an oral exam, proving she's a whore."

Comment

Working...
                              X