Is it legal to....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to....

I'm looking to write a feature script based on a 2006 movie and I want to know if somebody can tell me if its legal to do so.

I will of course be changing the dialogue and character names but I plan on following exactly how the film played out

Thanks

No it is not illegal
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

OK Thank You. I'm in the process of writing a script based on The Omen. I'm pretty much using the same story but I will be using different dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
        No it is not illegal
        Really? Mind if i ask where is the line in this sort of scenario?
        The newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy View Post
          Really? Mind if i ask where is the line in this sort of scenario?
          Sure,

Same story line, same characters, same title - That = crossing the line.

One of my films was almost a replica of another large film, but you would never know... And no, its not my found footage film

Comment

There are only a handful of plots anyway, so almost every movie is a re-imagining of earlier work. Shakespeare stole most of his plots from previous works, but he was able to improve upon them to such an extent that his became the definitive version.

BTW, I'm trying to be a good sport about the fact that you consider The Omen to be a 2006 movie, when I clearly remember seeing it in 1976...
            2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by 2001 Productions View Post
              There are only a handful of plots anyway, so almost every movie is a re-imagining of earlier work. Shakespeare stole most of his plots from previous works, but he was able to improve upon them to such an extent that his became the definitive version.

BTW, I'm trying to be a good sport about the fact that you consider The Omen to be a 2006 movie, when I clearly remember seeing it in 1976...

Wait, it wasn't a 2006 movie? Next you are going to tell me that Psycho wasn't a 1998 movie.

Jokes of course. :-)

Comment

Wasn't there a Omen that was made around 06 with Nicole Kidman?

Comment

Julia Stiles and Liev Schreiber

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                    Wasn't there a Omen that was made around 06 with Nicole Kidman?
                    Kidman hasn't been in an Omen movie as far as I know, nor one that shows up on her filmography.

Comment

Oh you are right, I was thinking of the movie Birth

Comment

I don't see see any value in making the "same movie" but with different dialogue.

Unless it's a class project or private project, I guess.

Even Nick's example resulted in a movie that no one would realize was based on another--so it's a different story in at least some respects...not just new dialogue.

If you're attracted to the themes or the characters of your source material, you can keep that intact while still making something original.

And while it may be legal to do what you plan [frankly, I'm suspicious about that]--producers would shy away from what is essentially a remake only 7 years later. Plus, legal or not--you can expect a lawsuit from the Omen people.

Kurt Hathaway
                        -------------------
                        VikingDream7 Productions
                        Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com
                        Last edited by khathawayart; 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

I'm looking to write a feature script based on a 2006 movie and I want to know if somebody can tell me if its legal to do so.

Just to be clear: it's not illegal in the sense that you'll be arrested for doing it.
                          It IS a violation of copyright law, and you're very likely to be sued for it.
                          Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

Originally posted by mara View Post

Just to be clear: it's not illegal in the sense that you'll be arrested for doing it.
                            It IS a violation of copyright law, and you're very likely to be sued for it.
                            Maybe I am not clear on what he is trying to do here, For instance, CULT was an original idea there was written. We just watched lots of movies that were similar and it gave us our ideas. Ohhhhhhhhh.......

Stand by....

Ok, are you going to try and rewrite a script like "The Omen" and try and sell it? Or are you trying to do something for a personal project?

Comment

What an great topic actually. Ok so I thought I read the script correctly, but yet I didn't really process it. As you can see I write as I think ^

It is not illegal to rewrite a script in your own words. According to the OP that is what he is going to do.

It is illegal to get someone elses script and change a few things and call it your own.

Assuming the Audience would no notice that it is a replica (because the dialog, shots/angles, music are different) then there is no reason to get sued.

Is it legal to - This is more of a moral situation, as people know that I am 100% against piracy and other illegal activities that hurt the film economy I cannot see that a fresh rewrite of a script is bad, all you are doing is taking the Idea of it - But the confusing part for me is you use the work "exact" and that make me confused a bit on what to think. Because the script has been produced so many years ago, and produced again, it is less worrying. But lets say someone on this forum sends you a script for purchase, but instead you just take the idea and rewrite it - That is Bad, Bad, Bad - But currently that is not the situation, it is an old script produced twice, its something where I have had the physical script "The Shining" and I studied it, I read what makes a good script, but I didn't "copy" it, not 1% -

So those are some more detailed thought of mine, anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                              X