No announcement yet.

Why do you want to be a script writer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you want to be a script writer?

So, why do you want to write scripts?

This is really a rhetorical question. I'm not expecting anyone here to actually answer that, but of course, feel free to do so if you wish.

The reason I ask that question, is the same reason I like to ask people this question "What do you really want?" Try it, ask your friends, family, and even people you don't know, and what you'll find is that, over 80% of everybody will answer "I don't know." The remaining 19.9% will give you a vague answer, like: I want to be rich, or, I want to be famous, or some other notion, without any real idea about how they would achieve those vague dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting people down for not knowing, but we're all here because we want to be in, or part of the movie industry, at some level.

So, why do you want to be a script writer? I can tell you that, for me, I love writing. I love creating. I love the freedom that writing allows me to express myself. I don't do it for money, or fame, or recognition. If I could make a living off being a ghost writer, that would be fine by me. But of course, I also love the act of putting together a movie and watching it take shape. I get a rush from taking nothing and turning it into something.

Don't get me wrong, money is great, and we all need it, but I could care less about fame.

But my point is this. It is my personal belief that, if you're first and foremost reason for writing is the pleasure you get from the act of writing, then more than likely, you are a good writer, or, you probably will turn into a good writer, or perhaps even a great writer.

If you're a 98 pound weakling with dreams of become a heavy weight lifter, you don't start off bench pressing 450 pounds. You start off small and gradually work up to heavier weights. And writing is the same. No one starts off being a good writer, and certainly not a great one, but if you're not exercising your writing muscles, you're writing will remain weak.

Write for the love of writing, first.

I love writing because it is a way to express things that cannot necessarily be expressed in real life. If that makes sense. I also love the freedoms that come with it. That isn't necessarily why I want to be a script writer, but a writer in general, as I am also a novelist.

Comment

I love to write, but more to the point, I love to tell stories. While I do novel length prose, and enjoy it, sometimes I just want to get to the guts of the story and screenwriting allows me to do that in a way a short story can't and a novel won't allow because of complexity.
      Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

Comment

Just because we can write doesn't mean we should. For me writing is a gateway to freedom. I think a "real" writer doesn't just feel the need to write but he feels he has to write. When I'm writing I feel that I have the power to create a different world, stand out from the crowd and enter another universe,my universe.

Comment

Working...
        X