Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good way so get out of Writer's Block?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good way so get out of Writer's Block?

I've come to a small roadblock in my short film AND a feature I'm writing lol. (It may be the stress level I'm at in life right now. I dunno.)

Do you guys have some good tips to get myself out of this hell?

Smoking and drinking honestly help my creativity personally, but they are not the only thing, nor do I always smoke and drink while I write, but they do help me some when I get stuck. Worked for Hemingway too, but by no means am I telling you to do either, lol. Just find what helps your creativity. Could be tea, could be setting yourself up in your own perfect writing environment. Everyone has something that works for them.

Comment

I try to stay away from drinking or smoking, but I do sometimes get coffee or tea. That usually helps, but not this time. I'm thinking about starting to write from the ending backwards.

Comment

Not a bad method. I sometimes write endings first, or at least have one in mind.

Comment

I'm the guy that sits there for 2 hours thinking of everything, but WRITES NOTHING DOWN! :P

Comment

So what is your issue? Did I read the thread wrong or did you not post your road block?
            Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I'm in the middle of a big dialogue scene between two people. I'm just stuck on where to take it.

Comment

The things I do to get out of writers block (For both Prose and Screenplay)

1: Write something else. At any one time I have multiple projects going. I'd suggest a primary project and a secondary.

2: Clean, do laundry, or some other chore you don't want to do. Just keep thinking about your project (In non-specific terms) once it comes to you, abandon that unpleasant task and get to writing.

3: Talk to my wife. Might not be applicable in your case. (This is three because she likes it when I clean stuff)

4: Write something utterly stupid. Don't worry about right or wrong. Vomit on the page if you must, but write something. You can always come back and fix, or delete, it later.

5: Last but not least... do something else, and preferably not routine. And do NOT think about your project. Sometimes writers block is just you being to close to the problem.
                Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

Comment

Originally posted by myownself View Post
                  I'm in the middle of a big dialogue scene between two people. I'm just stuck on where to take it.
                  Welcome to WRITERS BLOCK :)

You know what I do? What a film that you feel might be related to the idea you are writing, clear your mind and just relax and watch. Look for interesting things and reasons why they work so well in the film you are watching and try and apply that to what you are writing

Comment

Have some hot earl gray tea (prop's to anyone who gets the reference).

I'm new to writing but one thing i like to do is just sit down in a nice chair (preferably in the dark) and listen to some music that fits the mood of what i'm writing. Let the ideas fly by and write them down. Once you have had enough quickly go back at write it before you just have empty words on a paper.
                    The newbie.

Comment

Thanks guys! I just realized the horrible spelling/grammar in my title. :/

Comment

Here's a little secret I learned from another writer, he called it "don't stop the pen"

Start writing your dialogue, and it doesn't matter what, just write the first thing that pops in your head. It doesn't matter if it's complete nonsense, dumb ass shit. But whatever you do, don't stop the pen.

What you'll find is, writing, anything, starts the mind working. I have used this tactic many times and have come up with some great dialogue and situations. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

I like all of Kevin's points. And I try to NOT think. About anything. My brain tends to go into some sort of hyperactive mode, where I churn lots of useless concerns and worries, including how to fix a scene. So not thinking g is sometimes a goal.

When I'm feeling reasonably productive but can't figure out how to fix a scene or resolution that isn't working, I tell myself "turn it."
                          This comes from the kid's toy where they have to put a block of a certain shape into the hole of that shape.
                          I've often seen kids with the right block and the right space,but they aren't aligned properly...so they need to turn the block to make it work.

For me, this means: change your approach a little. If the scene isn't working quite the way I set it up, tweak the set up a little, because if I wrote it, I can change it...rather than continuously bashing it in the same direction and trying to force it.

Sorry for being so long winded !
                          Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

Originally posted by Director View Post
                            Here's a little secret I learned from another writer, he called it "don't stop the pen"

Start writing your dialogue, and it doesn't matter what, just write the first thing that pops in your head. It doesn't matter if it's complete nonsense, dumb ass shit. But whatever you do, don't stop the pen.

What you'll find is, writing, anything, starts the mind working. I have used this tactic many times and have come up with some great dialogue and situations. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
                            I have used that before, works great :)

Comment

My own method is a variation of Director's in this thread. When I am writing long fiction and I get a little stuck, i write out some dialogue in screenwriting format and I can then see my way through the essential narrative. on the flip side, when I am stuck on dialogue in a screenplay, i write the scene out in long fiction and get through the scene and then the dialogue becomes obvious to me because then i know the point of that particular scene.
                              Shawn Rohrbach MFA
                              www.shawnrohrbach.com

Comment

Working...
                              X