Screenplay formating question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenplay formating question

So, I have an odd, probobly stupidly simple question.

In screenplay format, when you transition (Cut to, Fade in, Fade out, etc.) Is it supposed to be on the Right Hand or Left Hand side of the page/screen?

I ask because my screenwriting software (Celtx) justifies it to the Right, but a lot of screenplays I have read/scanned/looked at have it justified Left.

Is celtx steering me wrong, or are both technically correct? As I'm working on a screenplay for actual submission as opposed to (hopefully) making myself, I find it somewhat important to know.

Thanks in advance, all you lovely people.
    Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

They (fade in, fade out, etc) shouldn't be there at all :)
    Although it's considered acceptable if you're directing and producing yourself.
    Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

really? Everything I've seen and read suggests they should be. Now I'm MORE confused.

Comment

Writing fade in or fade out is considered by some to be "old school". I think using or not using it won't make as much a difference as what is written between the "fade in," and the "fade out."

Comment

To be fair, a lot of what I've learned comes from Reading William Goldman's books and he is almost the current definition of "old school". Course, I kinda like "Old School"

Comment

I like this list of screewriting don'ts:
            Writing a movie script

Comment

If you use them, typically they go on the right. But the left is fine, too, if you prefer.

Mara is correct, however. There's no reason to use them at all.
              2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

One more question (I'm likely lying), this stands true even if you're writing a scene over the phone? Does it become a new slug line any time you change from one characters POV and the others, or do you just denote that in actions?

I'll probobly keep writing with the transitions, but it's not like it's hard to pull them out at final edit for submission. (They just help me visualize)

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a new slug line...but let's see if anyone disagrees...

Comment

Sounds good...

Strangely, this is one of the most active threads I've started.... heh

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                      One more question (I'm likely lying), this stands true even if you're writing a scene over the phone? Does it become a new slug line any time you change from one characters POV and the others, or do you just denote that in actions?

I'll probobly keep writing with the transitions, but it's not like it's hard to pull them out at final edit for submission. (They just help me visualize)
                      Actually, no, you don't have to keeping changing slug lines back and forth in a phone conversation. Use the word "INTER CUT". If I'm wrong, someone let me know.

Comment

You're not wrong. There are several ways to do it. Mine is:

INT. JANE'S HOUSE - DAY

Jane is on the phone with Dick.

JANE
                        Dick, where are you?

INTERCUT: EXT. SIDEWALK - DAY

Dick is walking down the sidewalk, cell phone at his ear.

DICK
                        I'm looking for Spot.

JANE
                        Did you leave the door open again?!

etc...

Comment

Ok, but since I stupidly spelled it as two words "INTER CUT" instead as it should be, as one word "INTERCUT", I guess I'll only take half a credit.

Comment

I'm sure either way is fine, Director. Anyone who judges a writer on the basis of something that petty has no business evaluating scripts. :)

Comment

Okay. Intercut. got it... And from the looks of it, that is formated LIKE a slug line, or like a "normal" transition?

See, told you I lied!

(Ducks, in fear of flaming torches)

Comment

Working...
                              X