Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I list my thriller script "Entitled" On the blcklist site?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I list my thriller script "Entitled" On the blcklist site?

I have a drama script uploaded there and it has gotten a good number of impressions and one download. I noticed that site doesn't have a lot of thriller and horror scripts with high ratings. I'm wondering if I would be wasting my time and money uploading my thriller script and paying for a read. I've done some research on the script reviews and some people are unhappy with it. What are your thoughts on the blcklist website? https://www.blcklst.com/

For example I read that a writer got a low rating from a reader when he placed high on the Nicholl fellowship competition.

i see a few red flags, but let me see closely. one sec
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I am curious to know if all of those movies they claim to have started out on The Black List really did start there. There are some huge films that have writers that have been in the business for more then 20 years, so I am not sure. Anyone else have an opinion on it? Click on the "About" tab and you can see what im talking about

Comment

I feel like it isn't legit. After going through the list is just doesn't seem right to me considering that a lot of the people on that list should not have trouble getting there work looked at/backed. I also did a little bit of research, and have found no feedback about the site anywhere else. Considering some of the films on there I feel like this would be a better known site. Something seems fishy to me.

Comment

The site started up back in October. I thought it would be a good thing for me but now I have doubts. I'm not going to renew my subscription and going to try inktip. Any good things that can be said about inktip?

Comment

I listed a couple scripts on InkTip back when it first started (under a different name) about 10 years ago. I got immediate attention from some highly respectable firms, and wound up getting signed by a manager with studio contacts who has represented me ever since.

Sounds good, yes? Okay, here's the flip side of that coin...

You'll notice I mentioned that was 10 years ago. A lot has changed since then. For one thing, the listing costs have tripled. For another, there are vastly more writers using the site than there were back then, so the competition is far greater. A lot of stuff is being optioned, but I've noticed that a good deal of it is from previously optioned/sold/produced writers.

When I first heard that InkTip was raising its prices, I went ahead and pre-purchased a couple of listings, which I've held onto ever since. Last year, just for the heck of it, I posted a script just to see what would happen. There were far fewer hits than there had been before, though I was contacted by another manager about possible representation (I declined, of course).

So, that's my experience, for what it's worth. Would I post a script today if I were just starting out? Probably. You never know. It's definitely a reputable site.
            2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

If you're asking whether or not industry professionals (agents, managers, Producers, etc...) actually read scripts off the blcklst, I know for a fact they do. Often.

The problem is that they really only pay attention to the scripts rated 8-10. And only the "Oscar contenders" rate that high. Meaning if you're writing a high-octane actioner or a bloody horror film, your script probably isn't going to rate that high. I mean it could if it's really well written with tons of character development, but "popcorn" movies tend to fall flat on the blklst. Unless it's based on a pre-existing franchise that you own the rights to.

Comment

Interesting, anything new on this?

Comment

I figured that much. I don't think blcklist would be ideal for my kind of scripts, with the exception of two. I'm going to try inktip for my thriller script. I think inktip is more well rounded.

Comment

This is absolutely correct about Inktip. I know the owners relatively well since I have used the site over the years. It was a haven of big name industry professionals about ten years ago. I was getting hits from companies like Lionsgate and Warner Bros., to name a few. Then some of the overzealous writers ruined it and scared the majority of those companies off. This was due to the fact that when your script was read, the production company's contact information was displayed to you. With this information available to them, many writers decided to badger the companies about their scripts and the deals that potentially were or were not to be made.

Now I find that the site is certainly still legitimate, but the volume and caliber of companies exploring the scripts there is much, much lower than the heyday of a decade ago. Expect less hits and not the same level of company. But if you've got a spare sixty bucks or so and want a bit of exposure, it's not a bad way to promote your work. Best of luck with the script!

Originally posted by 2001 Productions View Post
                    I listed a couple scripts on InkTip back when it first started (under a different name) about 10 years ago. I got immediate attention from some highly respectable firms, and wound up getting signed by a manager with studio contacts who has represented me ever since.

Sounds good, yes? Okay, here's the flip side of that coin...

You'll notice I mentioned that was 10 years ago. A lot has changed since then. For one thing, the listing costs have tripled. For another, there are vastly more writers using the site than there were back then, so the competition is far greater. A lot of stuff is being optioned, but I've noticed that a good deal of it is from previously optioned/sold/produced writers.

When I first heard that InkTip was raising its prices, I went ahead and pre-purchased a couple of listings, which I've held onto ever since. Last year, just for the heck of it, I posted a script just to see what would happen. There were far fewer hits than there had been before, though I was contacted by another manager about possible representation (I declined, of course).

So, that's my experience, for what it's worth. Would I post a script today if I were just starting out? Probably. You never know. It's definitely a reputable site.

Comment

Shadowman, that is such a bummer about other writers sabotaged you. I found that many writers (Not Filmmaker/Writers) but "writers" only that have never gotten a film produced are very angry, and jealous. I notice when I post a script wanted post on craiglist that i will get about 15 responses then some would flag the post, therefor taking down the post, I know it always someone that had submitted first and trying to close the gap for others to submit. Long story short is this is not good for anyone and it hurts the filmmaking economy

Comment

Originally posted by shadowman View Post
                        Then some of the overzealous writers ruined it and scared the majority of those companies off. This was due to the fact that when your script was read, the production company's contact information was displayed to you. With this information available to them, many writers decided to badger the companies about their scripts and the deals that potentially were or were not to be made.
                        I'd forgotten that Inktip used to provide contact info. I remember they've always made a point of urging writers NOT to contact the producers unless solicited, but it doesn't surprise me that some of the inexperienced ones might disregard that advice. Damn shame.
                        2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                          Shadowman, that is such a bummer about other writers sabotaged you. I found that many writers (Not Filmmaker/Writers) but "writers" only that have never gotten a film produced are very angry, and jealous. I notice when I post a script wanted post on craiglist that i will get about 15 responses then some would flag the post, therefor taking down the post, I know it always someone that had submitted first and trying to close the gap for others to submit. Long story short is this is not good for anyone and it hurts the filmmaking economy
                          Yes, it does tend to come from bitter writers who attempt to block the opportunity from everyone else. You are dead-on, Nick, about how much this affects the industry. When the producer does not have a good variety of scripts to choose from or they get a nasty vibe from the writing sites they post on, they typically abandon even looking for a script. I think every writer should try their hand at producing or directing, even if just a short. This is not necessarily so they can become a producer or director, but mainly so they can get an idea of what it really takes to make a film. Many writers tend to isolate themselves from the industry with the mentality of "buy my script and leave me alone". In this new era of filmmaking along with a struggling economy, writers should educate themselves about the ENTIRE filmmaking process and what is involved in putting a project together. This is something I took upon myself a decade ago when I saw the tides changing within our industry. I recommend the same for all other writers. Maybe then, the competitive atmosphere would be more civil and professional.

Comment

Does anyone know if there are any other sites that are similar to Inktip, or the way Inktip was 10 years ago, with the bigger companies like Warner and Lionsgate, etc reading writers stuff? I joined Inktip in the past and I never badgered the people who glanced at or read my stuff. You're all right, it does ruin it for the other writers.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                            X