Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which first camera should I invest in? Blackmagic 4k?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which first camera should I invest in? Blackmagic 4k?

I've done some research and have come across a couple different options for my first camera but ended at the Blackmagic 4k cinema camera. I'm looking to shoot mostly short films, have feature film like resolution, and I'm trying to keep my budget under $4000 (essential accessories included.) I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about the new Blackmagic 4k camera and the company's reputation so I'm a bit hesitant. Does anyone have any good advice for a beginner filmmaker that's on a budget but is looking for professional level equipment?

a couple notes
    -I've heard the blackmagic 4k doesn't do well in low light, will this be a huge problem?
    -what all would I need as a bare minimum if I got the blackmagic 4k or another option?
    -If someone has a better option for my budget, I'd like to hear it as well.

Thanks ahead
    JEAW

Let me get a message out to some people and see if they can better answer your question! One sec!
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Thanks Nick!
      JEAW

Comment

Originally posted by jordanw1630 View Post
        Does anyone have any good advice for a beginner filmmaker that's on a budget but is looking for professional level equipment?
        If you are a beginner and still new to the game, try DSLRs and shooting RAW, you can still get up to 2K. So what is your plan as a film maker? Director, camera operator, cinematographer? Finding the right camera depends on what your role will be as a film maker. Sometimes having a certain type of camera doesn't make the movie better. It's all in the creativity. Hope this sheds some light on your question.
        Producer / Director / Photographer
        www.vtlithyouvong.com

Comment

Well as strange as it seems given my resume. I'm looking to go into the path of becoming a director. I've recently graduated high school and focused a lot of my time in drama so I'm looking to make some pretty good short films outside of the classroom (hopefully). I agree with everything you said, its not the camera, its person behind it. My concern about the DSLRs has to do with their professional capabilities. Once I've gotten past the basics am I going to be limited? If most professional grade equipment costs so much to handle, why are the DSLRs so much cheaper?

Thanks again
          JEAW

Comment

Take a look a look at two of my work. Music video I directed.... Lone Star Man shot on a 5D mark lll and Barstool Kind of Night shot on a RED. You can find it on my youtube page. See the difference.
            Producer / Director / Photographer
            www.vtlithyouvong.com

Comment

Also, if you look Film riot did a comparison of alot of DSLR's, as well as the Canon 5d and the Red Epic. The Canon 5d was quite remarkable even with comparing it to a 50,000 dollar camera (0r some such).
              Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

Comment

You'll find that accessories for cameras can be 3x more (sometimes even more than that) than the body and lens. Invest into a DSLR or camcorder, and put the rest of the money into other gear and possibly set aside money for the other aspects of production of the film you are making that need attended to. Perhaps a GH2/GH3 or T3i if you want to go DSLR, and an XL-H1 if you're going the camcorder route.

T3i:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLpg4vzjVA

GH2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9KmAlrEXU

XL-H1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGgRH7-Qs9g

Comment

You could get a Canon 6D and a few lenses. It's similar to the 5Dmk3 but with a few less bells and whistles and a lower price tag. That way you would have a full frame sensor so that you could have shallow depth of field if you wanted, have good low light capabilities and not be way over your budget. The Black Magic will have a better image than the 6D under most lighting conditions, but it's also more untested than Canon's products and will probably show some other issues. If you are interested in being a director then I think a DSLR is a fine option. A camera doesn't mean much without lights, dollies, sliders, Steadicams, lots of lens options, grip gear etc... By that I mean you should meet a real DP that you like to work with and let him worry about the gear and focus on learning what you need to with what you're able to but. Plus, with the 6D you'll still have a remarkable stills camera.

Comment

Working...
                  X