Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do filmmakers depend on Post-Production for the final look of the film?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do filmmakers depend on Post-Production for the final look of the film?

I'm talking more about the cinematography of a film or the look of it.

But how much do filmmakers depend on things like color correction/grading or for the chemical process for shooting on film.

A few things depend. If you have a certain look you're going for, you need to know how to achieve it.

An extreme example is "Sin City" or "Pleasantville". Those of course require certain things done on set to achieve the outcome during editing.

If you're going for the oversaturated "Domino" effect, the lighting is important. But, playing with the effects ahead of time can help you get close to that look.

Color grading and correction for the majority of micro-budget film makers is to get the best possible look for their movie as possible. Most go with the best look possible on set with the lighting and cinematography and take it up a few notches in post production.

Time, space, equipment, and money are usually not a micro-budget film maker's friend. But, if you have a specific look in mind, plan for it from pre to post production.

Comment

This really depends. I personally think color grading and correction are crucial components when it comes down to post and making your film really stand out. But as stated above it all depends on the style and theme your film is going for. I have seen films that really set their mood and tone perfectly mainly due to their lighting and color grading. But with that being said, I've seen horror films and darker toned films with extremely colorful CC and I personally thought it threw the entire film off.

Its all how you want to present your tone.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

I would say try to get everything shot as best you can in camera, and not to depend on anything in post except putting the film together? Agreed?

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheMan View Post
          I would say try to get everything shot as best you can in camera, and not to depend on anything in post except putting the film together? Agreed?
          I don't think that's neccesary if you have a good plan. However, don't just expect to "fix it in post." You can rely on post if you have done reasonable tests and are prepped properly.
          -AF

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X