Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to increase your online views for your films? Any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to increase your online views for your films? Any tips?

I've always struggled with this concept. Is there something I'm missing out on something? Is there some golden secret not yet revealed to me? Lol

Can anyone school me on this?

Like if your film was on YouTube? If so, Nick has a cool article with a little bit about SEO on youtube which might lead to more views?. Check it out. http://www.filmmakerforum.org/conten...be-part-2.html
    Last edited by Jimmy; 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Try finding out about your audience, someone has to be watching your videos. Try and appeal to your audience more, and then come up with new stuff once your audience has expanded.

Comment

Check out some of the payed view systems as people are more likely to view a video with lots of views. Try to keep regular content coming, and stay involved with social media to promote you channel and videos.
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Know your audience.

Why is this important? Because you want to steal from other trailers and films. Take their best elements, and add your twist onto it. Know your audience, and make content that they will enjoy. I'm not going to give names purely because I'm not interesting in offending this particular person, especially if they are on here.

The video that I had watched was a video game fan film. It had adult humor that kids would not kid, it was making fun of fans of that video game, but at the same time making references to that video game. So it most likely won't appeal to kids or adults, and it certainly won't appeal to teens because they are making fun of teens that like that game. It might appeal to those who don't like the video game, but it constantly makes references to the game, so you would have to know much of the game in order to understand the joke. That narrows the viewers that care about the video and will continue to come back for more content down to obsessive and immature people who hate that video game, have knowledge of that game.

Another thing is that content on your channel should be fairly similar. I was on a channel because a trailer for a somewhat violent thriller film. I was shocked by the lack of viewers. I went onto the channel, and looked at the videos. The first video (which made up 95% of the channel views) was a makeup tutorial, then two cat videos, then a trailer for a murder film. Those are 3 separate types of content. Makeup, murder, and cat videos do NOT belong on the same channel. If you want to upload makeup tutorials, good for you. But create a channel for those tutorials. Want to upload cat videos? Make a casual channel. Want to upload movie trailers about psychopathic killers? Put that on a professional film channel.

The second thing is becoming involved in social media and the online indie film(making) community. Make yourself known. Enter competitions. My two favorites are the Monday Challenges from Film Riot and the Moguler Made "contest" from IndyMogul. When I look at submissions, a majority of views from those channels come from challenges and competitions. I recently submitted to the IndyMogul Horror Contest. While I didn't win, they did have a playlist linked to all the submissions. Within a few hours, my views on that video shot up to 301+.

Another thing is to put out great content at a fast rate. A large quantity of high quality content. It's not quality over quantity. It's quality and quantity. Why? Because one way to hook viewers is to constantly put out great content so that they don't unsub because of your lack of uploading. You also might want to get on an upload schedule. You should have some plan as to how you want to pace the content that you put out. Film Riot puts out two episodes a week. If they started putting out episodes once a month, I guarantee you they would lose many views and subscribers. More = better. That leads me to another point, if you are going to be an active uploader, there are a few things that you need to do. First off, like I stated above, put out content that is all very similar. Cat videos and psychological thrillers DON'T belong on the same channel. Video game videos and documentaries/time-lapse videos don't belong on the same channel. Even more importantly, have some back up videos in case you get in a jam and cannot make a new video every month/week. What do I mean? Going back to Film Riot, they got busy with a project, and instead uploaded their series The Slate instead of rushing out what would have probably been a poor episode. I'm starting a filmmaking channel soon, and I'm filming backup episodes soon.

Tags, descriptions, thumbnails, and titles help as well. Short, unique titles with short descriptions with eye catching thumbnails and many related tags are going to get you more views.

Know your fanbase, actively upload good content at a planned out pace, and cleverly organize and put together video info.

Comment

Very well said, chimpphobiafilms. The only thing I would change is that I would not say to "steal" from other content. I agree that it is important to know your audience, but never take from something someone else has. Come up with your own ideas, but use what you know of the genre to possibly incorporate some similar techniques.
            -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
              Very well said, chimpphobiafilms. The only thing I would change is that I would not say to "steal" from other content. I agree that it is important to know your audience, but never take from something someone else has. Come up with your own ideas, but use what you know of the genre to possibly incorporate some similar techniques.
              Hehe. Steal isn't the right word, but you want to.. ahem... take (let's use that, it sounds much better ;) elements from other people who make similar content to yours and have been successful. Perhaps if I was a reviewer, I might want to pace my videos similar to that of one of my favorite (successful) reviewers. Not literally take his/her content, but take elements from that person.

I'm really sick of cookie cutter films, but in my opinion, a balance should be found between business and creativity. (Unless you have a producer), a director has to manage the financial and creative elements of the making and distribution of a film. Which for most of us, we don't have much money. We want to gain money and recognition from the indie community and from viewers. I don't think that completely ripping off someone's content is good. I hate that. But taking apart and analyzing work from someone successful, then taking small elements from their work and working it into yours isn't bad, in my eyes.

I worded my original statement wrong. I meant more-so copy marketing strategies and advertising methods that have gotten those people into the limelight.

I had recently read an article on www.filmmakeriq.com about how Lionsgate recuts trailers. It was really interesting the advice that the producer and/or editor had given. That advice was to make the trailer as exciting as possible, and to watch 100 trailers of successful films similar to yours, and to copy from them. Which brings me to another thing.

TRAILERS ARE ADVERTISING.

Trailers are not a time to be creative. A trailer is an advertisement, not a film.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention and OP's. I'd hate to give off bad info.

Comment

Chimpphobiafilms great stuff!

Comment

Thanks Jimmy!

Comment

Working...
                  X