Advice... Demo REEL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice... Demo REEL

Hey Guys, So I have a demo reel, I need some advice..
    1: Is this ready in your opinions to be sent to some companies to try and get a job (not taking my resume into consideration)...
    2: If not what am I lacking should I start from scratch and wait till I have more Jobs under my belt or is this good enough for the film maker/ production community?

Any advice will be very appreciated especially if you have looked through many demo reels ...

Respectfully

Jake

Quick question, what type of position are you aiming for? My guess would be Videographer/Editor?

In either case, I think this may be too long for a collage of projects, I'd say aim for the 2 min mark. Also a title card at the end with the positions that you are aiming for.

Otherwise, great work!

Comment

Correct Cinematographer is my main focus but I do a lot of editing as well.. One job i was thinking about applying to is for a Video Producer job but i think for this specific job it would encompass much more then just production. 2 min is definitely a good idea thanks a lot. I think it may be a little redundant at times..

Really appreciate it !

Comment

I must say you do a nice job

Comment

Thanks brother !
          Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
            Agreed. The only thing I would add is at the end with your name, say "cinematographer" and "editor," as well as moving the email address up a little. Also, display it for longer. Overall, nice work!
            -AF

sigpic

Comment

Awesome work! Very nice reel.

Comment

Great stuff. I have embedded the video for you.
                Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

This is beautifully filmed, a depiction of the wonder and strangeness of life. The music and words are perfect. I would try to move this if I were you. Have you considered making some nature videos?
                  L A Morgan
                  Novels, Screenplays, Short Scripts, and Music
                  http://lamorganwriter.com

Comment

Thank You !! I would love to shoot some Nature films, Ive never storyboarded for one, what would the average length be 3-5 min ?
                    Originally posted by L A Morgan View Post
                    This is beautifully filmed, a depiction of the wonder and strangeness of life. The music and words are perfect. I would try to move this if I were you. Have you considered making some nature videos?

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will do that !
                      Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
                      Agreed. The only thing I would add is at the end with your name, say "cinematographer" and "editor," as well as moving the email address up a little. Also, display it for longer. Overall, nice work!

Comment

Do you have any advice on marketing myself, I always focus on filming and never think too much about expansion.
                        Originally posted by L A Morgan View Post

Comment

Gorgeous work, man! Most here already nailed the obvious stuff. 2 minutes max, there's a bit of motion graffix in the middle I'd remove...maybe improve the end graffix, too--and definitely put what job position you're after. You may think it's "obvious" you're a cinematographer, but state it up front, so people watching know how to evaluate what they're watching__before they actually watch it. And definitely hold on the contact info longer--bring it forward and make it big, too. You want to make it easy for people to contact you.

I'm very impressed with the work--and the variety of work. You've obviously been busy. I seriously gotta update my own reels.

My Motion Graphics reel:
                          http://vimeo.com/16065784

Kurt Hathaway
                          -------------------
                          VikingDream7 Productions
                          Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

I was thinking you might do 50 minute themed nature programs for Nat Geo, Discovery, Science, etc. I watch those documentaries all the time and I think you have the talent to do this.
                            L A Morgan
                            Novels, Screenplays, Short Scripts, and Music
                            http://lamorganwriter.com

Comment

First off, your reel is outstanding! I saw a lot of reels and yours is one of the best! If I were looking for a DP, I would hire you based off of this. I have a few of suggestions, half of which others have already covered.

1. Add a 2-3 second intro showing your name, the position that you're applying for, and the words demo reel. For me, I would have the text "Brandon Podell's Cinematography Demo Reel."

2. If you're looking for work as a cinematographer and an editor, then I would create one reel for each position.

3. Add your contact information at the end of your reel and make it stay there for about 5 to 10 seconds. This should include your name, your email address, and possibly your phone number if you feel comfortable showing that publicly.

4. Add a better title effect for the beginning and end of your reel. If you need help making this effect, please email me at brandon[at]brandonpodell.com.

5. At 2:31, the camera goes out-of-focus. I would cut this scene or at least trim it.

6. The video is too long and some people will not spend the time to sit through the entire video. I would keep limit your reel to 60 to 120 seconds of only your best footage. You can eliminate the scenes that you had more than once, which would cut it down by about a minute.

7. At 2:55, there's a video with a lower resolution with back borders. I would cut this clip.

8. You can cut your scenes to the music. I noticed that you did this toward the beginning a little and it looked really good. It would be really impressive if you can cut to the music throughout your entire reel or at least the majority of it.

For marketing, you can start by creating a website and a Facebook page. You can also get business cards with your website and Facebook page on it, and hand them out to everyone who you come in contact with who is in the film industry. You can begin to build up your fan base by getting likes to your Facebook page. You can contact production companies and TV studios directly to try to get your foot in the door. If you have any films already made, you can send press kits to distributors to try to sell your footage. You can find production companies, TV studios, and distributors by doing a Google search or looking in the yellow pages. If you need help designing your website, Facebook page, business cards, or creating press kits, please let me know.
                              www.facebook.com/BPodellProductions

Comment

Working...
                              X