Considering a Canon EOS 5D. Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a Canon EOS 5D. Thoughts?

So, up until today I was pretty sure that my big camera purchase was going to be the 4K Black Magic Designs (BMD) camera, but now I am seriously reconsidering starting off with a good DSLR and moving into 4K next year perhaps.

Part of it is price. I can get the 5D Mark III with a 24 - 105mm lens, bag and other accessories for less than just the BMD body, which will leave me a bit more room to get a few more lenses and maybe a better tripod. Plus, the 5D MIII uses the EF lens mount, which means that any lenses I do get will be compatible with the BMD or Red camera anyways.

The other factor is that I can get the 5D tomorrow from Future Shop or just about anywhere that sells cameras. Whereas, I will have to wait until at least July for the BMD, and that's only if it's not already backordered to the end of the year.

I was planning to shoot Walk with the Devil using a Panasonic HDC-SD5PP, which is a 3CCD HD camera and produces nice color and resolution, but it lacks any decent manual focus or aperture and no matter how hard I try, I can't get any decent depth of field from it. Plus it only does 30fps and looks terribly like video. Also, its not mine. I am borrowing it.

My business partner has already agreed to do the lease on the BMD and some lenses up to $10k, but I'm thinking of asking him to just get a Future Shop card and go this route instead.

The only thing that really makes the BMD stand out is that it does 4K video, whereas the 5D only does HD. So, all things considered, do I need 4K video just yet? I mean, anything I produce this year is not likely going to be hitting cinemas. Most of this years stuff will showcase on Youtube and Vimeo, which doesn't support 4K anyways.

So I guess my big question is: Does a DSLR for video work well for handling, mounting, etc. during production?

I'm not concerned with the audio on the 5D since I will be recording it using my Tascam DR40 and an AT897 shotgun mic anyways.

I am trying to briefly get out my thoughts so excuse the scatterdness of all of the ideas please! Because of how small the BCC (Blackmagic Cinema Camera) is, it is about as hard to mount as a DSLR! The only thing to worry about on a DSLR that I'm not sure was a problem on the BCC is rolling shutter. I definitely think it's a good idea to own a camera, and not just rent. Eventually, 4K will completely knock out HD, but until it is supported by Youtube and Vimeo, I don't think you need to worry. Oh, and if you get the 5D, also get a 50mm prime. They are cheap, and prime lenses give a shallower depth of field.
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

That helps.

I was reading some reviews on the D5 MIII, especially the one on nofilmschool (http://nofilmschool.com/2012/03/5-re...-iii-3500-its/) and they are saying that moire and rolling shutter are no longer an issue, or at least mitigated to the point of not being noticeable.

I also read through the user reviews at the bottom of the page and they are helpful. Some say it's not worth it, others say it's awesome.

One problem I have when considering the BMD 4K is that there are no reviews and no test footage out there yet. Plus, when thinking about it more after I posted last night, I realized that 4K workflow might be an issue with my computer. I might just get stuck using in HD mode anyways. The data rates of 4K are huge and I might just melt my editing laptop.

Decisions. Decisions! No matter what, I'm going to take on a fairly hefty financial burden to get my camera, but the deal breaker for me is that no matter what, I need to work with multiple lenses, a shallow depth of field and have as much manual control as possible. Renting is not an option in my mind. I need practice and the freedom to shoot test footage as I am inspired, without the added burden of a time limit on how long I have to use the equipment.

As I near the end of my redonkulously long post here, I am really thinking that the 5D is perfect for where I am at right now. Plus, since I am a practiced photographer, I can use it to generate some instant revenue right out of the box, which will help pay it off quicker (the BMD body doesn't strike me as being very photographer friendly, despite it's ability to do full frame photos).

Thanks for your input AF!

Comment

If you're gonna go for a 5D, save your money and for the Mk2.

No personal experience here, to be fair, but everywhere i've looked says there's no reason to pay the extra $1K.

Comment

Originally posted by zackmanze View Post
          If you're gonna go for a 5D, save your money and for the Mk2.

No personal experience here, to be fair, but everywhere i've looked says there's no reason to pay the extra $1K.
          I hear a lot of complaints online about the price, but the Mark II had the moire and rolling shutter issues (as Anonymous Filmmakers pointed out above), which has been resolved with the Mark III from everything I've read. The other issue with the Mark II was that it would only output SD video through it's video connections, making it nearly impossible to pick up those issues on your monitor while shooting.

In my thought process, an extra $1K for the extra peace of mind knowing an entire shoot isn't going to be ruined, is well worth it.

I've spent the last day and a half doing a lot of research on the MkIII, and I've already got the ball rolling to get it. If I'm lucky and my business partner can get approved for enough on the Future Shop card, I'll also be getting a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L lens as well.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my defunct project was shot was the 5D. Check out a little of the clip I put up in videos.

It worked well for us. The lighting could have been better. But, that's not the camera.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Canon. And I am saving up for the 5D mark III myself. So I've only heard good things.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueAmI View Post
                I'm pretty sure my defunct project was shot was the 5D. Check out a little of the clip I put up in videos.

It worked well for us. The lighting could have been better. But, that's not the camera.
                I just watched that and commented.

Do you know if it was the Mark II or Mark III... I'm kind of assuming it was the MkII because the MkIII just came out.

Either way, I did notice the moire effect on Leslie's shirt in a few of the shots, so I'm hoping that it wasn't the MkIII.

Other than that, I thought it looked really good. I've been watching a few of the demos from the Mark III kicking around the internet, and so far I am very impressed. If I didn't know any better, I would laugh at anyone who told me this was done with a photography camera that added video as an auxiliary function.

PS. I didn't think the lighting was that bad. It can always be better of course, but like I said in my comments, I think a bit of grading will do wonders with what you've got.

Comment

OK, so the 5D is probably way better, but I saw that Canon just released the 70D. Here's a link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...s-connectivity
                  -AF

sigpic

Comment

The 70D is not much of an improvement, honestly. Your best bet is sticking to what you think looks good. Just brush up on videos within each camera on YouTube. Always remember that it depends on lenses, light, etc. I bought a t2i to start making short films, and the one thing I invested in the most was a sound system, lenses, and camera rigs (most notably the Glidecam HD).

Comment

Working...
                    X