Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a Red Flag? Should I Proceed with Caution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Red Flag? Should I Proceed with Caution?

Hey so I'm just curious to people's input about situation I'm in. I recently have been getting involved with an up and coming company as pretty much the main DP/creative guy. And me and the two partners for the company have gotten to be pretty good friends, but today I saw the first red flag. I'm heading down to a choreography session for one of the videos they're doing, and find out the owner of the company/main director of the video chose not to show up because he was mad at one of the actors for going to a bachelor party, TO HIS OWN WEDDING. Now to me, that's kind of messed up he would be mad about this. And he also warned Michael (the director/owner) ahead of time. The actor also paid 200 dollars for the location we're using so Michael has no reason to be acting childish like this. Imo he's throwing a hissy fit and as the director and owner of the company he needs to man up, deal with the situation, and press on. He has good ambition but his inexperience dealing with professionalism is starting to show. Idk it just seems like a red flag because it's only their first real project for the company and already he's acting like a child. I had to manage all the actors today because he chose to ignore his phone cause of this actor. Is this a red flag for my future with them? Should I tread with caution before getting too involved?
    Last edited by MrJay10; 06-15-2013, 06:11 PM.

I have been in business situations before that have gone very bad and have been messy. Bottom line, if you are doing business with someone, being friends is not a truthful reality. I can't say this is true for every situation, but what I have seen is that when it comes to money or an opportunity for someone to get ahead, things don't always stay friendly. My thought on your situation is that if their is an opportunity for you to do something that will benefit your career you should absolutely do it, but always be cautious. Get everything in writing and don't allow anyone to walk on you. If things go to shit for you because of other peoples bad judgment and childish behaviors then you at least have one more thing to add to your regime and you've learned a lesson. No opportunity is a bad opportunity, just go about it the right way. But also trust your gut, if you have an extremely bad feeling about the situation and the people involved in the project, then staying clear of it entirely could be to your best interest. If they were willing to make you DP, someone else would be too. Hope I made sense, and helped. Good luck.

Comment

Very wise words mr. pete. I appreciate that alot man thanks!

Comment

I agree with everything Mr Pete had to say.

But, are you sure you're correct in your assumption that it was the actor going to his own bachelor party that kept the owner away? Did you eventually speak to the owner? It's not just unprofessional it's bizarre behaviour. He's messing up his own project. If you haven't spoken to him, I hope you're wrong in what you believe. Because if it's the truth, it can only go down from there.

Comment

Good Point

Find out all of the facts. There are always two sides. Also, are you a partner? If not, you might want to limit your input to the DP role, especially if you aren't getting paid. If none of this works then you have to decide what you can live with and what you can't. Reputation is key in this business so don't screw it up.

Comment

That is a RED FLAG for sure. Some good advice givin above, so just keep trying!
            Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Ok thanks guys! I'll definitely keep an eye out on this kind of stuff from now on. I'm not trying to build a bad reputation.

Comment

Red flag, yes, but I would ask him personally about it. I'd want to know EXACTLY why he chose not to show up. Tell him that it concerns you but you wanted to hear the honest truth from him.

You may find out that he had good reason. For instance, if the actor was threatening. I wouldn't show up either because I wouldn't want the trouble. It's not worth it. I'm sure your business is worth the phone call.

Besides, if there is nobody to tell us in a kind way that we are making a mistake, how do we expect to grow as a business person? I get sick of people who just run from everything because they don't want the confrontation. It's good for relationships when you can confront people in a caring way.
                Composer, Producer - www.adamspade.com

Comment

Before you back out of the production, you might want to get together with all of the main players and have a major discussion about what's going on with them.
                  L A Morgan
                  Novels, Screenplays, Short Scripts, and Music
                  http://lamorganwriter.com

Comment

You have to let us know exactly what happened. Don't keep us hanging. This kind of stuff is fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueAmI View Post
                      You have to let us know exactly what happened. Don't keep us hanging. This kind of stuff is fascinating.
                      haha ok I'll give you guys an update soon. We're supposed to start shooting and saturday and sunday so I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
                      X