DIY light box for less than $65

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY light box for less than $65

I've been working on a light box for a few days and think it's pretty set. Posting some pics, let me know what you think.
    It's running (8) 100w florescent daylight bulbs, I'm adding foil barn doors over the next few days. In the back I've wired a regular wall switch where the old wiring was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMAG0148.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	60571Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMAG0149.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	60572Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMAG0151.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	60573Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMAG0154.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	60574Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMAG0155.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	60575

That's really nice looking, actually. Really nice.
    Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

Comment

What are you currently doing with the lid?
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

The lid that was on the top of the box? I kept that to cover the top during transport. I could affix a rude hinge set up for "barn doors" with it I guess. I saw a YT setup, a mate in the UK had used alum baking pans to fashion 4 barn doors on his rig. As I'm not too concerned with the look (thanks for the compliment Kevin!) I'm going more for function than style. hahaha
        We needed a brighter and softer light on set of the web series and this was a possible solution. Plus it gave me something to tinker with for a couple days.

Comment

Well I was thinking you could cut the lid open but preserve the part that can clamp on, and you can use that to add a white sheet, or color gels... Just a thought

Comment

That's a good point Nick! Since it's only florescent bulbs I was thinking the wax paper as a diffuser, but clamping it on may be tricky. I'll be playing with the barn doors first, then seeing what will fit around the opening for gels/diffusers. I've been talked into making a few YT videos for this project and a plug in line dimmer switch as well as modifying shop lights with doors and custom mounts on the cheap. Hope it all works out. I'll post links if I decide to post anything. Hope it gives someone some new options.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jeffo View Post
              That's a good point Nick! Since it's only florescent bulbs I was thinking the wax paper as a diffuser, but clamping it on may be tricky. I'll be playing with the barn doors first, then seeing what will fit around the opening for gels/diffusers. I've been talked into making a few YT videos for this project and a plug in line dimmer switch as well as modifying shop lights with doors and custom mounts on the cheap. Hope it all works out. I'll post links if I decide to post anything. Hope it gives someone some new options.
              There you go, keep us updated on how it goes!

Comment

I want to show this to the guy who's doing our lighting. He'd at the very least get a kick out of it, and maybe stop going on about what we "need" so much.
                Find me on Twitter: [at]Shadoe_Fox

Comment

Sweet lightbox, do you have instructions on how you did it?

Comment

I saw something like this on youtube, I think...maybe it was you...and I liked the idea.

I made my own light kit with work lights and PVC. This would be a good addition to that kit.

Kurt Hathaway
                    khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Hey guys, I shot a little footage of it I'm hoping to have edited soon. Since we start production back up on the series this weekend, I'm not sure if I'll have it done by then. I do have some pictures I'm going to try and embed. Yes Kurt, I saw that YouTube video as well. That's where I got the idea but that's obviously not me.

Name:	800w2.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	60062

Name:	aIMAG0155.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	60063

Name:	aIMAG0149.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	60064
                      The top 2 pics just have 4 of the 8 bulbs in, the bottom one lit has all 8. I'm fashioning ghetto barn doors for now since we're shooting again so quickly. Maybe something nicer after that.

Comment

Did you ever do anything with the lid - or was that just a bad idea?

Comment

Actually I was intrigued by the idea. These lids barely snap on without locking tabs, so I'm going to cut one out for this weekend and test it. I'll take some pics and post them.
                          I've also modified (2) 500w worklights, added barndoors, inline dimmers, with purchased light stands and umbrellas. Fingers crossed for the weekend. I'll post pics of all of the stuff I've made, there is quite a bit more than I'm listing.

Comment

Looks a lot like this one.

I was going to take a shot at it. I like the one you built. Maybe you can put something like aluminum foil inside the tube so that you do not loose any of your light. You may think about using dim-able fluorescent lamps and install a dimmer to have more control of the brightness.
                            Last edited by Aaron Jones; 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Jones View Post
                              Looks a lot like this one.

I was going to take a shot at it. I like the one you built. Maybe you can put something like aluminum foil inside the tube so that you do not loose any of your light. You can are think about using dim-able fluorescent lamps and install a dimmer.
                              Yeah that video on imdy mogul was the first thing I thought of when I saw this post it looks exactly like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X