Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music for my film.

Hello,

As I posted previously, I am in Post on my latest short film right now. These last few weeks I've been working with a composer to make sure the music sounds perfect.

I'm having trouble deciding what parts of my film I want music on. A lot of it works without music, and because of the content the silence is really okay...but I really love most of the stuff the composer is coming up with. I can't decide if I'm too in love with the video to let the music help it, or if my instincts are telling me the music really doesn't belong in certain parts.

So I guess my question is, how do you guys decide what moments in your film need music?
    "It's all make believe, isn't it."

This is a crucial part me friend, it really is! How much score do you use? How much do you not use? Well as the director this is all going to be up to you. You have the ability to sit and watch a roughcut, and right away watch the cut with the score yea?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

yes, I can watch it with and without the score at any time. I don't know how I would handle it if I couldn't. I am really invested in this one.
      Last edited by dory811; 03-02-2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Well, then the moments should be decided with bases about your ability to see where they need. There is where RAW talent comes in to choose what parts and what music will bring out the most BUT not over do the scenes. I hope this makes sense to you and I think it does, its just its a hard question without actually seeing the film. Looking forward to seeing this when you get a chance and I wish you the best of luck!!! Cannot wait to see how things turn out

Just remember, no matter how the film turns out, its no ones fault but yours :)
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I was afraid there wasn't a formulaic answer for this one. There almost never is in this work.

Thank you for the support :)

Comment

If you are wanting this to be really, really well done. I would send it to someone who does it for a living and have it scored.

I know that it is better to work with someone hands on like you are now. But if you get a professional to do it. Who scores for a living, they will most likely make it look the best.

I am really, really close friends with 2 people who score. 1 of which live in LA. So if you would like for me to talk to them, don't hesitate to ask! :)
            http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

thanks for the offer, but the guy I'm using is a professional composer, when it comes to the music i always try to leave money in the budget for a pro :)

Comment

Awesome! Well as long as you have a professional composer then everything is good! :)

Goodluck with the film!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

Working...
                X