Cinematic Feature - PLEASE READ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinematic Feature - PLEASE READ

I want to pitch something to everybody because I think the project has gotten ahead of us.

Here is the basic idea.

Cinematic Feature that utilizes directors / producers in different locations without having to have the actors meet in person. There would be relationships but communication would be between phone and internet etc. We would want as many members on the forum to be involved as possible.

Writing:
    The script would be something similar to Independence Day or 2012 with an event that brings all of the characters together from different locations. The event could be anything. It's just an event to base the script on. Cyber-terrorists is one option. A master writing team would set the foundation and guidelines for the story and each sub story, and establishing basic character relationships between locations available to us. A sub writer would be assigned to writing the story for each location. The stories would then be passed up to the Master writing team which would rewrite the script as a whole and make sure everything lines up. There will be changes here to make sure each sub talks well. Rewriting then until the script is superb.

Production:
    Production would be broken up into teams. A crew at each location will manage, film, and then rough edit the section of the script assigned to them. These multiple rough cuts would be passed up to a master editor, who would then cut them into one story. A master sound team would jump in here too.

Music:
    I recommend 1 composer to score the film (and I promise not selfishly) but we could also have a music supervisor and use music from 10 popular bands on the internet. This will help with networking... even if we only use 10 seconds of each song. Opens up the possibility of an indie soundtrack as well. Good groceries. There is also the possibility of multiple composer sharing the score, but I do not believe that would be the best for the movie.

Management:
    Business Management - Probably would be best to give Nick power to run this as a business with each team being their own sub contractor.
    Board of Directors - A board for decision making and management for the project and each team. Use the team leaders.
    Graphic design and marketing team etc. can be established when needed.

Ask me questions but It is really pretty simple I think.

I am not opposed to doing any other sort of film but I believe we should have a basic plan and pitch "like above" for each so that we know exactly what we are voting for before we do so. Otherwise, we would be voting without key information needed from an actual assessment. Our votes would likely be based on instinct, personal want, or even fear, which was my first reaction to doing a cinematic feature. The idea of managing of this kind of project was scary. This isn't typical. But now I have a mental grip on it and it's really simple.

I hope you all consider this as I personally believe it is the best choice for the forum. Either way, happy film-making!

Thanks!

(And so you know my PRIMARY SKILLSET: Producer, Composer, Screenwriter, Project Manager, Technology.)
    Composer, Producer - www.adamspade.com

One thing I forgot to mention is that doing a feature in this manner would allow us to use our situation (The Forum and Multiple locations) to our advantage rather than treating it as a disadvantage. I believe we can make a really good movie. There is no reason we couldn't raise money for this as well and I would pitch in.

Comment

I think we should attempt something like this after we've done a short as proof of concept.

The short would be a huge help when it comes to raising funds for a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
        The short would be a huge help when it comes to raising funds for a feature.
        Very true. Could be great for crowd funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Spade View Post
          Very true. Could be great for crowd funding.
          That is what I meant when I said start with a short. We could use a short to raise money for a feature.
          -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
            That is what I meant when I said start with a short. We could use a short to raise money for a feature.
            We could also just collaborate on a pitch video for crowd funding, which could also be very cool and give us the same experience. Would utilize our time better as well.

Comment

We could also just collaborate on a pitch video for crowd funding, which could also be very cool and give us the same experience. Would utilize our time better as well.
              The vote and Nick's decision on the matter is pretty clear. Our first project will not be a feature.

Comment

The vote and Nick's decision on the matter is pretty clear. Our first project will not be a feature.
                I haven't seen a clear decision anywhere.

Either way, I'm asking Nick and the rest of the forum to reconsider. Whatever the decision is, I'm not upset at all.

Comment

I think a short would be perfect. Then use it for crowdfunding if we ever decide to take it to the next level.

With so many people and so many various opinions on the matter I think we need to stick to small and then build our way up.
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

I haven't seen a clear decision anywhere.

Either way, I'm asking Nick and the rest of the forum to reconsider. Whatever the decision is, I'm not upset at all.
                    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-m...head-head.html That's pretty clear.

Comment

I see. There is only 15 total voters though and there is no key information about either. That is not a very clear decision imho. There is no risk assessment or planning involved at all.

I suggest we reconsider and hold another vote with an actual plan for each option. Otherwise, this is a blind vote and involves only part of the forum.

Comment

I think the reason the voting was on "Short vs Feature" was because everyone wanted to know what ground we could start on.

It does matter, in my opinion what we start with. I think it was just to get a really, really broad idea of where we were going to start. Then from there we could really sit down and discuss everything involving what we initially voted on.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

Originally posted by Havey View Post
                          I think the reason the voting was on "Short vs Feature" was because everyone wanted to know what ground we could start on.

It does matter, in my opinion what we start with. I think it was just to get a really, really broad idea of where we were going to start. Then from there we could really sit down and discuss everything involving what we initially voted on.
                          I don't disagree and completely understand the objective of the vote. I'm not against doing a short at all either, But after brainstorming a plan, I believe we are ahead of ourselves and should reconsider. I hope everyone involved takes the time to read my post and do so.

Comment

I see. There is only 15 total voters though and there is no key information about either. That is not a very clear decision imho. There is no risk assessment or planning involved at all.

I suggest we reconsider and hold another vote with an actual plan for each option. Otherwise, this is a blind vote and involves only part of the forum.

Not everyone in the forum gets a vote, only those participating. 15 people out of the 21 listed on the crew page isn't bad at all. That's about 75% of eligible voters. The US presidential election doesn't get 75% participation.

What key information do you need? It's a short or a feature. There are tons of discussions on here about the possibilities and execution. There's been ample participation in these discussions. We were talking about shooting with multiple satellite units from the start. I frankly find it a little condescending that you assume all these voters are ignorant of these discussions.

We can't have a complete production plan or risk assessment before we even decide what we're making. That's like asking for blueprints when you're not sure if you're building a playground or a condominium. Drawing out the full plan for a feature will take a lot longer then drawing out the plan for a short. We could have a short written, planned scheduled and even shot in the time it takes to perform the necessary pre-production on a feature.

More important then all of this is the fact that Nick, our producer, has said he does not have the time for a feature right now. I think there's ample evidence that the general consensus of this project is in favor of doing a short film first. If suddenly a bunch of people in key positions (Directors, Producers, Editors) say they'd rather do a feature then by all means hold another vote. Otherwise I strongly recommended you make this the last thread to discuss the matter.

Comment

Not everyone in the forum gets a vote, only those participating. 15 people out of the 21 listed on the crew page isn't bad at all. That's about 75% of eligible voters. The US presidential election doesn't get 75% participation.

What key information do you need? It's a short or a feature. There are tons of discussions on here about the possibilities and execution. There's been ample participation in these discussions. We were talking about shooting with multiple satellite units from the start. I frankly find it a little condescending that you assume all these voters are ignorant of these discussions.

We can't have a complete production plan or risk assessment before we even decide what we're making. That's like asking for blueprints when you're not sure if you're building a playground or a condominium. Drawing out the full plan for a feature will take a lot longer then drawing out the plan for a short. We could have a short written, planned scheduled and even shot in the time it takes to perform the necessary pre-production on a feature.

More important then all of this is the fact that Nick, our producer, has said he does not have the time for a feature right now. I think there's ample evidence that the general consensus of this project is in favor of doing a short film first. If suddenly a bunch of people in key positions (Directors, Producers, Editors) say they'd rather do a feature then by all means hold another vote. Otherwise I strongly recommended you make this the last thread to discuss the matter.
                              Does it bother you that I ask everyone to reconsider? I know where you stand. I'm just asking. It shouldn't be a big deal that you would have to strongly recommend anything at all. Please let me hear others opinions now.

Comment

Working...
                              X