X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is what we are going to do

In reference to our community made movie:

After many days of thinking about this, I found there is only one way we can do this.

If we want to accomplish this it needs to be a Documentary!

All we need is a subject and those who have cameras can film locally.

When the film is complete we will upload it to someones channel (Who ever has the most subscribers, *related to film*)

So what is the subject going to be?

For those wondering what this topic is about, it is about a film that this forum is making. If you are interested in helping out go here --> www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-make-film/
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Maybe we could do _____ across the world, or at least the U.S. For ex: grocery stores, local monuments, culture, etc. Any ideas?
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Nick I am against a DOC - Just my thoughts :)

Comment

I'm also against doc. We already had several ideas floating around for interesting narrative films.

I was slated as writer on this. What will I be doing on a doc?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
          I'm also against doc.
          Like I said on another thread, I'll do it, but I would prefer something else.
          -AF

sigpic

Comment

From a project management and business perspective, Nick is right. A documentary could be successful, could get many of us involved, and would bring a great deal of traffic to the forums. We could really create something great here. I say do a full documentary first and then do a feature film next. Beats the heck out of doing a short, which is a waste of money.

A documentary can actually bring in a bit of cashflow even, which could be used to fund a feature.

Should it be a doc on something film related? related to social networking maybe? I'm thinking of a way we can use our "being in many locations" to our advantage...
            Composer, Producer - www.adamspade.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Spade View Post
              From a project management and business perspective, Nick is right. A documentary could be successful, could get many of us involved, and would bring a great deal of traffic to the forums. We could really create something great here. I say do a full documentary first and then do a feature film next. Beats the heck out of doing a short, which is a waste of money.

A documentary can actually bring in a bit of cashflow even, which could be used to fund a feature.

Should it be a doc on something film related? related to social networking maybe? I'm thinking of a way we can use our "being in many locations" to our advantage...
              According to every authority I know on the subject Documentaries are almost never profitable. I've experienced this first hand with the company I work for. Before I signed on our producer invested $150,000 in a documentary, shot it, and took it to festivals where it won awards and got 10 minute standing ovations. We're not even dreaming of turning a profit at this point. We'd be happy just to see a few grand in returns that we can invest in something more profitable.

Profit potential is a very poor reason to go with a feature documentary.
              Last edited by Patrick Wiley; 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I would actually prefer a doc this would allow us to possibly do something on food chains and huge company conglomerates across the country and world allowing everyone to take part in this community film.

Comment

Guys, today I am super busy with distribution, please share your thoughts and I will check on this topic tomorrow

Comment

Patrick, think about what I'm saying here. I don't disagree with what you say. I'm actually quite educated on the subject. But I'm comparing a documentary to a short, not a feature. I also didn't say "profit" I said it could bring in some "income", which could help fund a feature. Even $1,000 would help.

From a project management perspective, it would be much easier to do a doc then a full feature. Believe me, I would rather do a full feature, but I completely understand why Nick is for a doc. It's risky to do a full feature on the first try with a forum. But a documentary could really work.

If we did a feature, we would probably have to have multiple stories that would come together at the end somehow, something like Quinten Tarentino's Four Rooms... it's doable though and I'd be WAY more interested in that. That sounds really fun, personally. And my vote is for that. But if Nick says Doc first to test the waters... so be it. I'll look forward to the feature afterwards:)

Comment

I will pass on doing a doc as well. It does not interest me as a cinematographer. I will keep an eye on the thread and if something else comes out of it I will still be a part of it.

Comment

Patrick, think about what I'm saying here. I don't disagree with what you say. I'm actually quite educated on the subject. But I'm comparing a documentary to a short, not a feature. I also didn't say "profit" I said it could bring in some "income", which could help fund a feature. Even $1,000 would help.
                        But if you accept there wont be a profit any income will be less money then we're expending on the doc. If that's the case why not just save money by doing a short and using that to attract investors for a feature?

From a project management perspective, it would be much easier to do a doc then a full feature. Believe me, I would rather do a full feature, but I completely understand why Nick is for a doc. It's risky to do a full feature on the first try with a forum. But a documentary could really work.
                        The question isn't feature narrative vs feature doc, there are lots of other options including shorts and a web series. I'm curious if Nick came up with this because he saw that feature had the highest votes in my "medium" poll. Previously he'd been pushing for a short. I put short vs feature in a head to head poll since they were the top voted mediums. I think we should see how that turns out before throwing everything behind a doc which we don't even have a premise for.

If we did a feature, we would probably have to have multiple stories that would come together at the end somehow, something like Quinten Tarentino's Four Rooms... it's doable though and I'd be WAY more interested in that. That sounds really fun, personally. And my vote is for that. But if Nick says Doc first to test the waters... so be it. I'll look forward to the feature afterwards:)
                        I actually submitted a script in this sub forum which was tailored to utilize the different filming units that are currently available to us. I intended it to work as a tie in for a potential feature. The script would call for little to no monetary investment from each sub unit drawing its production values from the locations themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
                          But if you accept there wont be a profit any income will be less money then we're expending on the doc. If that's the case why not just save money by doing a short and using that to attract investors for a feature?

The question isn't feature narrative vs feature doc, there are lots of other options including shorts and a web series. I'm curious if Nick came up with this because he saw that feature had the highest votes in my "medium" poll. Previously he'd been pushing for a short. I put short vs feature in a head to head poll since they were the top voted mediums. I think we should see how that turns out before throwing everything behind a doc which we don't even have a premise for.

I actually submitted a script in this sub forum which was tailored to utilize the different filming units that are currently available to us. I intended it to work as a tie in for a potential feature. The script would call for little to no monetary investment from each sub unit drawing its production values from the locations themselves.
                          You gotta sway Nick, not me, partner. I want to do a feature. I'm just considering the effort in managing this project and, in Nick's position, it could be so much easier and safer doing a doc. Risk assessment. Regardless of money, it still needs to be successfully completed and NOT have a negative impact on this forum. Which I'm sure is Nick's primary concern. And I would respect his decision either way.

Comment

Patrick Wiley

My concern is organization, locations, editing, MONEY, etc... Trying to do a cinematic feature film is not in my play book right now.

If no one wanted to do a doc then obviously we can do our best to do a short cinematic. Just a documentary makes the most since as something that can first "unite" us, then once completed we can say "ok lets do this for real now"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                              Patrick Wiley

My concern is organization, locations, editing, MONEY, etc... Trying to do a cinematic feature film is not in my play book right now.

If no one wanted to do a doc then obviously we can do our best to do a short cinematic. Just a documentary makes the most since as something that can first "unite" us, then once completed we can say "ok lets do this for real now"
                              100% - A feature would be a lot to take on. Maybe consider doing something like Quinten Tarantino's Four Rooms though. That might work.
                              Last edited by Adam Spade; 05-07-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X