Plot suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot suggestions

I thought I would start a thread where everyone who wants to could share their idea for the plot of the film.

We aren't sure if we will produce a short or a feature yet, so the story should be something that could be told in a short film setting if needed.
    Also it should be something that could be filmed at different locations with different actors, but still tell a coherent story, not just a collection of different shorts.

Maybe write a title, a one or two sentence logline, and a little bit about it why you think it would work for a project like this.

My suggestion:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert on LUCID dreams (dreams where you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want, you can create your own world. See: Inception, The Matrix) comes to the realization, that the dream world he ventures every night might actually be the real world, and the world he thought was real is a dream, a nightmare.

Why I think this could work: Anything can happen in dreams, in one dream you might dream yourself as a different person (different actors playing same character), some dreams might be entirely shot with a POV. Some dream could be a nightmare, one segment could be horror, another one fantasy etc.
    This would also give great artistic freedom for the individual directors to express themselves in their segments.

What are your suggestions?

Title-A Small Red Line...

People often believe that there all these threads that go from place to place, around the globe. Then, there is this Small Red Line that connects from person to person without them even knowing sometimes.

A drama where 5 people's stories intertwine without their knowledge. They'll never know the people's lives that they affected, nor will they ever meet them.

Comment

A little idea I had:

An elite group of hackers are on the run after hacking into ____. The police are chasing them around the globe trying to stop them before they ____.

Feel free to fill in the blanks! I know it's not much of an idea yet, but if you want to build on, feel free!
      -AF

sigpic

Comment

I actually had a pitch for a hacker story on the main page. I was thinking since there's a large group who are in on this who think we should start by doing a short, maybe we can make the short a sort of opening teaser for the larger story. It will feature the same characters pulling off an international cyber heist. It will work stand alone and as the opening for a larger story should we go through with the feature.

Comment

First of all, this is an amazingly generous offer by Nick to offer to organize the production of a short film using the talent that hangs out on these boards. There's obviously plenty of enthusiasm here which is great but I don't think the rising tide should lose focus of Nick's original offer from the first thread. He's stated more than once that he wants to make a simple short with a 1-2 day shoot. In order to not inconvenience him, I think this should be done at more or less one location near him in California. This is where he has access to equipment and acting talent. This is also where he can be on set and teach members about the production process and that seems to be a big reason he's put himself out there for this.

The pitches and ideas are all interesting but it all comes down to the script. There has to be something on the page. My opinion is that members of the forum should submit reasonably low budget shorts 10 pages or less for consideration and that there be a deadline for submission, say May 31st. This gives members a chance to write something they are excited about but it must meet simple production parameters. Furthermore, I don't think it works to have a 10 page script written by multiple writers that are strangers. That sounds like a muddled mess. We just need to pick one. Once that's done, the world is open and as many members as possible can work on making this the highest quality short film possible and learn from Nick's experience in the process. Not everyone's going to be involved this go around because the project isn't going to support dozens but if we're all reasonable and it yields a decent product, maybe others can be rotated in on the next project. Maybe it will lead to bigger things and maybe not but I fear nothing will even get started if the reins aren't pulled back a little. It makes sense for this to start simple.

Comment

Originally posted by OffMindEnt View Post
            I thought I would start a thread where everyone who wants to could share their idea for the plot of the film.

We aren't sure if we will produce a short or a feature yet, so the story should be something that could be told in a short film setting if needed.
            Also it should be something that could be filmed at different locations with different actors, but still tell a coherent story, not just a collection of different shorts.

Maybe write a title, a one or two sentence logline, and a little bit about it why you think it would work for a project like this.

My suggestion:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert on LUCID dreams (dreams where you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want, you can create your own world. See: Inception, The Matrix) comes to the realization, that the dream world he ventures every night might actually be the real world, and the world he thought was real is a dream, a nightmare.

Why I think this could work: Anything can happen in dreams, in one dream you might dream yourself as a different person (different actors playing same character), some dreams might be entirely shot with a POV. Some dream could be a nightmare, one segment could be horror, another one fantasy etc.
            This would also give great artistic freedom for the individual directors to express themselves in their segments.

What are your suggestions?
            It is so weird that your suggestion was of that.

I'm like 1 week away from the beginning of my short film series and its actually entitled "Lucid." Has a little bit different story line, but somewhat the same.

Weird.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

Originally posted by Havey View Post
              It is so weird that your suggestion was of that.

I'm like 1 week away from the beginning of my short film series and its actually entitled "Lucid." Has a little bit different story line, but somewhat the same.

Weird.
              Wow, that's pretty cool actually!

When you finish the first short and if you release it online let me know. A short film series on the subject sounds extremely interesting.
              Dreams have always fascinated me immensely.

I have had a haunting opening in my head for awhile for my idea.
              The story would begin as the lead character notices little things that are off, like looking at a clock and seeing that the numbers are all wrong, or talking to a person whose speech doesn't make any sense.
              Finally a family member of the lead character, who has long been dead all of a sudden walks in the house.
              At that moment the lead character realizes that this is a dream, and the dreams he has been having every night are the reality.

All of that stuff could be the "wrap-around segment" so to speak, with the crews from around the world creating the dream sequences.

I think it could lead to some pretty interesting filmmaking. For example you give a director in India a short segment of the script where the lead character dreams (this would be the real world!) that he can fly. The filmmaker in India then goes on to film it in his vision.
              Or you give another group an assignment where all they have to do is deliver a 1-minute segment of a nightmare. No rules. It could be very interesting.

The "dream world" aka the actual real world in my idea would be a place that doesn't have the same laws of physics or laws of nature that this world has. This would give the filmmakers around the world incredible freedom to do some crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
                I actually had a pitch for a hacker story on the main page. I was thinking since there's a large group who are in on this who think we should start by doing a short, maybe we can make the short a sort of opening teaser for the larger story. It will feature the same characters pulling off an international cyber heist. It will work stand alone and as the opening for a larger story should we go through with the feature.
                That's weird that we thought of a similar idea! If we wanted to do a series or series of shorts, we could have the police chasing the hackers in different places in each episode/short.
                -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OffMindEnt View Post
                  Wow, that's pretty cool actually!

When you finish the first short and if you release it online let me know. A short film series on the subject sounds extremely interesting.
                  Dreams have always fascinated me immensely.

I have had a haunting opening in my head for awhile for my idea.
                  The story would begin as the lead character notices little things that are off, like looking at a clock and seeing that the numbers are all wrong, or talking to a person whose speech doesn't make any sense.
                  Finally a family member of the lead character, who has long been dead all of a sudden walks in the house.
                  At that moment the lead character realizes that this is a dream, and the dreams he has been having every night are the reality.

All of that stuff could be the "wrap-around segment" so to speak, with the crews from around the world creating the dream sequences.

I think it could lead to some pretty interesting filmmaking. For example you give a director in India a short segment of the script where the lead character dreams (this would be the real world!) that he can fly. The filmmaker in India then goes on to film it in his vision.
                  Or you give another group an assignment where all they have to do is deliver a 1-minute segment of a nightmare. No rules. It could be very interesting.

The "dream world" aka the actual real world in my idea would be a place that doesn't have the same laws of physics or laws of nature that this world has. This would give the filmmakers around the world incredible freedom to do some crazy stuff.
                  There's an episode of Batman the Animated Series like that. Bruce wakes up and discovers he can't find the Bat cave, he's engaged to Selina Kyle and most astoundingly his parents are alive and have been all along. Batman exists in this world, but he's someone else entirely so all the important things he does still get done. A psychiatrist convinces him that his belief that he was Batman was a delusion caused by a sense of worthlessness he felt growing up rich. He begins to accept this until he sits down to try and read the news paper. It's all gibberish. That's when he realizes it's a dream, Bruce, being an expert on everything knows that it's borderline impossible to read in a dream. It turns out the whole thing is the result of a device the Mad Hatter has hooked Batman up to.

Pretty good episode, although it kind of has the plot holes of 1. If Hatter had Batman helpless why didn't he just kill him, and 2. why didn't he unmask Batman before putting the device on.

Comment

For a feature - I think we just need a basic plot then each team and their writer would create subplots. Tie them together after their 1st drafts. Think "Independence Day" where a nationwide event brings people together.

For example: Cyber terrorists attack the United States. Groups of Americans across the nation have 24 hrs to work together and stop the attack, before peanut m&m's are labeled and distributed as regular m&m's and millions die from peanut allergies. (That's obviously a joke but you get the idea)

Each team chooses Subplots from a list: Cyber Terrorists HQ, Police Station & FBI, Elite Computer Hacker, Soccer Mom (Wife of FBI), Teenage Beach babe (Daughter of FBI away for college who is dating the computer hacker, virtually) etc. etc. Base it out on subplots then and it will snap.
                    Composer, Producer - www.adamspade.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Spade View Post
                      For a feature - I think we just need a basic plot then each team and their writer would create subplots. Tie them together after their 1st drafts. Think "Independence Day" where a nationwide event brings people together.

For example: Cyber terrorists attack the United States. Groups of Americans across the nation have 24 hrs to work together and stop the attack, before peanut m&m's are labeled and distributed as regular m&m's and millions die from peanut allergies. (That's obviously a joke but you get the idea)

Each team chooses Subplots from a list: Cyber Terrorists HQ, Police Station & FBI, Elite Computer Hacker, Soccer Mom (Wife of FBI), Teenage Beach babe (Daughter of FBI away for college who is dating the computer hacker, virtually) etc. etc. Base it out on subplots then and it will snap.
                      I think that you are the 3rd person to suggest a hacker idea, so there is obviously interest in this topic.
                      -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
                        I think that you are the 3rd person to suggest a hacker idea, so there is obviously interest in this topic.
                        Well, it's something that can be a nationwide or even worldwide event that would tie these distant people together. We can work with that. It's easier than aliens destroying the planet too:P

Comment

What are other peoples opinions about starting with a hacker idea and building on from there?
                          -AF

sigpic

Comment

Cyber thriller / suspense / action / drama... It will work and everyone would probably enjoy working on it. Gives plenty of flexibility. Why wait? Maybe we should just push forward, establish the basics and pitch it to Nick.

Step 1: Establish event and resolution. What will the hackers attempt to do? why? and what will be the resolution?

Step 2: Establish main characters from each story / subplot and relationships to each other.

Step 3: Organize writing team into hierarchy. Assign short stories / subplots and create 1st drafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
                              A little idea I had:

An elite group of hackers are on the run after hacking into ____. The police are chasing them around the globe trying to stop them before they ____.

Feel free to fill in the blanks! I know it's not much of an idea yet, but if you want to build on, feel free!
                              That sounds pretty cool actually , I would be up for doing something on that!

Comment

Working...
                              X