Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing

Discuss writing/ideas here

(You might have posted some great posts in this topic feel free to copy paste it here)
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Here are my suggestions for how to decide our story:

First off it sounds like we've got pretty much unanimous support for making it a multi location project. Unless someone raises a major objection I think this is a given.

Now there was also strong support for having it start as a recorded skype chat where one person gets killed. Someone claimed this would be very challenging however it mainly sounded like the challenge comes from making it in a third person narrative style. If done in a first person ARG style we can simply run a real recording of a skype chat. This might be worth a poll.

The first thing that definitely needs a pole is what format to make this. Do we go short film? Feature? Web series? My vote is for an ARG style web series personally.

Now we get into ideas we've only touched on a little. First supernatural elements. I'm very much in favor of these. I think we should poll this one.

Second, if we vote for supernatural elements should we try and make it a Slendervlog. I'm VERY in favor of this not just because I'm a fan of the mythos but also because it can get us a built in fan base.

Comment

I think that we should go with a feature length because as somebody mentioned, it was researched, and nothing like this has been done before for a feature film. We have the potential to make cinematic history with this!

A Slendervlog would be cool, but I don't think it would work to well with a feature film.

Comment

I think the premise lends itself better to an online ARG. Our access to different locations would automatically give us an edge over every other ARG I've ever seen. It would certainly blow existing Slendervlogs out of the water if we went with that mythos. Plus we have a very easy framing device and explanation for how all these videos are coming in from across the world, one of them opens a youtube channel to upload his own footage, then gives the others the passwords so they can upload what they find.

I'm concerned that if we go the route of feature film we'll need to hold all our satellite units to a standard of production value that they may not all be able to accomplish. People have different expectations for online videos verses feature films. When people browse youtube they expect to see quite a few videos shot on iphones. When people sit down in a theater they expect to see something shot in hi def.

Found footage films are incredibly common these days and I wouldn't be surprised if there's already an international found footage film out there. That it would be a major bust to put everything into a medium on the basis that it's revolutionary to that medium only to discover we've been beaten to the punch. I'm of the belief that online content is the future of entertainment, in fact if we made this film it would probably just end up online anyway hosted on netfilxs, hulu ect. I think making ARG history is just as appealing as making cinematic history and I think it's also more realistic.

Anyway I think it's up to everyone involved to help decide this so lets start with a poll for what medium we're going with.

Comment

This is different from all the other found footage films I've seen though.

Comment

Here is my suggestion for the plot:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert of LUCID dreams (dreams where you have total control, you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want or create a whole world, see: The Matrix, Inception) comes to the realization, that the dream world where he visits every night is the real world, and the world he thought was real, is a dream.

Why I think this would lend itself to a project like this. For one this way the entire movie could have the same character(s), there could be one longer segment, that would be the "wrap-a-round segment" in the "real" world, and groups from all over the world could create the different dreams. In some dreams he could dream himself as another person, some dreams could be shot from his POV entirely etc.

This could also mean greater freedom for each segment director. One dream could be a nightmare, so it would be a little horror short, one could be action, one fantasy etc.

This way, even if some segments use different cameras, maybe have lower production values, it wouldn't matter so much, because the dreams will be different too.

Let me know what you think. The plot wouldn't have to be exactly like my logline. The possibilities of a dream world could lend itself for all kinds of plots.

Comment

That sounds like it would require higher budgets to make descent dream sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
                I think the premise lends itself better to an online ARG. Our access to different locations would automatically give us an edge over every other ARG I've ever seen. It would certainly blow existing Slendervlogs out of the water if we went with that mythos. Plus we have a very easy framing device and explanation for how all these videos are coming in from across the world, one of them opens a youtube channel to upload his own footage, then gives the others the passwords so they can upload what they find.

I'm concerned that if we go the route of feature film we'll need to hold all our satellite units to a standard of production value that they may not all be able to accomplish. People have different expectations for online videos verses feature films. When people browse youtube they expect to see quite a few videos shot on iphones. When people sit down in a theater they expect to see something shot in hi def.

Found footage films are incredibly common these days and I wouldn't be surprised if there's already an international found footage film out there. That it would be a major bust to put everything into a medium on the basis that it's revolutionary to that medium only to discover we've been beaten to the punch. I'm of the belief that online content is the future of entertainment, in fact if we made this film it would probably just end up online anyway hosted on netfilxs, hulu ect. I think making ARG history is just as appealing as making cinematic history and I think it's also more realistic.

Anyway I think it's up to everyone involved to help decide this so lets start with a poll for what medium we're going with.
                I like the idea of an ARG/Slendervlog-style film. But other than the fact that we are all combining our footage from various locations into one film, how would our film be unique and different from EveryManHybrid and the like? It seems like we would only be adding one different element to an otherwise over-used format. I may be completely wrong and/or missing something, so feel free to enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuelR74 View Post
                  I like the idea of an ARG/Slendervlog-style film. But other than the fact that we are all combining our footage from various locations into one film, how would our film be unique and different from EveryManHybrid and the like? It seems like we would only be adding one different element to an otherwise over-used format. I may be completely wrong and/or missing something, so feel free to enlighten me.
                  Well I for one think the multiple locations alone would make us stand out from the existing series. The Slenderman and some of his proxies are supposedly able to teleport at will, yet that's rarely used to full effect. The fact that he never seems to warp anyone more then a few miles from their house gets kind of conspicuous. Beyond that there are lots of new elements we can ad. For example I've had ideas for incorporating the science of electromagnetic fields into the mythos. I'd also considered a story element in which we directly acknowledge the internet myth nature of Slenderman only to discover that this is in fact a case of retroactive continuity, Slenderman actually goes back in time and removes evidence his own existence.

I think we can make our story different in terms of writing structure as well. Almost all of the Slendervlogs I've seen end up dragging on and at a certain point it seems like there's no conclusions in sight. Its fine for certain things to be open ended and confusing but many of them just seem like they've taken the same strategy as Lost, namely, throwing out random mysterious incidents most of which you never explain and just hope the audience forgets. We can have a more concise script with a clear direction, more skilled filmmakers at the helm and better actors (many vlogs resort to using terrible actors due to their limited talent pool and need for more characters, we'll each have a fresh talent pool to draw on).

At the end of the day what's going to be unique about this film is its methods. I don't really subscribe to the cult of originality. I believe all creativity comes from applying a new perspective to existing things. I think we can find new perspectives for the Slendervlog. I don't believe any premise we come up with will be purely original.

Comment

Well I for one think the multiple locations alone would make us stand out from the existing series. The Slenderman and some of his proxies are supposedly able to teleport at will, yet that's rarely used to full effect. The fact that he never seems to warp anyone more then a few miles from their house gets kind of conspicuous. Beyond that there are lots of new elements we can ad. For example I've had ideas for incorporating the science of electromagnetic fields into the mythos. I'd also considered a story element in which we directly acknowledge the internet myth nature of Slenderman only to discover that this is in fact a case of retroactive continuity, Slenderman actually goes back in time and removes evidence his own existence.

I think we can make our story different in terms of writing structure as well. Almost all of the Slendervlogs I've seen end up dragging on and at a certain point it seems like there's no conclusions in sight. Its fine for certain things to be open ended and confusing but many of them just seem like they've taken the same strategy as Lost, namely, throwing out random mysterious incidents most of which you never explain and just hope the audience forgets. We can have a more concise script with a clear direction, more skilled filmmakers at the helm and better actors (many vlogs resort to using terrible actors due to their limited talent pool and need for more characters, we'll each have a fresh talent pool to draw on).

At the end of the day what's going to be unique about this film is its methods. I don't really subscribe to the cult of originality. I believe all creativity comes from applying a new perspective to existing things. I think we can find new perspectives for the Slendervlog. I don't believe any premise we come up with will be purely original.
                    Thank you for this response and clarification. :D

Comment

I'm going to have to put myself down as pretty strongly against making it a slendervlog. If we make our project around a current fad, it's doomed to die when the fad dies. There are already popular slendervlogs out there. We would be copying someone else's idea and playing second fiddle to them.

Also, an ARG isn't a film, is it? It's rather like if person A were to say "Hey, let's record an album!" and person B pipes in "I've got an idea for our album. Let's put on a concert once a week perpetually for the foreseeable future!" Person B may have a good idea, but it is not an idea related to person A's idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance Baryn View Post
                        I'm going to have to put myself down as pretty strongly against making it a slendervlog. If we make our project around a current fad, it's doomed to die when the fad dies. There are already popular slendervlogs out there. We would be copying someone else's idea and playing second fiddle to them.
                        Well it's hard to determine what will remain a fad and what will remain popular. I see the slenderverse more as a cult following then a fad, cult followings tend to stay consistent.

I don't think we'd be playing second fiddle if we surpass all existing series in quality. In the current rundown of vlogs it's actually the later ones I like the most. Marble Hornets lacked compelling characters and had no real direction to its plot, they've used the "hey look we found more tapes" escape way to often. My favorite story wise is Tribe Twelve, and I consider DarkHarvest00 to be the scariest.

Also, an ARG isn't a film, is it? It's rather like if person A were to say "Hey, let's record an album!" and person B pipes in "I've got an idea for our album. Let's put on a concert once a week perpetually for the foreseeable future!" Person B may have a good idea, but it is not an idea related to person A's idea.
                        I think that's a rather silly false equivalency. When this was launched the idea was just to make a short film. When we began discussing it we came up with the idea of using our distance to our advantage with people running satellite units. With that in mind making a single self contained short film quickly fell out of favor and we became interested in something more ambitious. Right now the top voted medium is a feature film. So far no one's voted to just make a single short.

ARGs are usually composed of videos with supplementary material on the sides. ARGs don't always run ad infinitum. For example a while back there was an ARG called "Inside Experience" which ran for a fixed period of time. When you get right down to it there's no functional difference between running an ARG and running a web-series which features some promotional social media (which almost all web-series today do). So it's not at all like the difference between an album and an endless series of concerts.

Comment

That sounds like it would require higher budgets to make descent dream sequences.
                          Not necessarily. It wouldn't have to be a CGI-heavy effects piece.

Also the different locations around the world equal instant production value. Just an interesting location with good camerawork and music could make it look like an other worldly place.

Just throwing an idea out there. A dream movie would give each director more freedom to to express themselves and try different things. It should still have an exciting script and an addictive narrative though.

Comment

When you get right down to it there's no functional difference between running an ARG and running a web-series which features some promotional social media (which almost all web-series today do). So it's not at all like the difference between an album and an endless series of concerts.
                            I think if you re-read this part a few times, you'll find that it actually supports my analogy rather than disagrees with it.

Comment

Originally posted by OffMindEnt View Post
                              Not necessarily. It wouldn't have to be a CGI-heavy effects piece.

Also the different locations around the world equal instant production value. Just an interesting location with good camerawork and music could make it look like an other worldly place.

Just throwing an idea out there. A dream movie would give each director more freedom to to express themselves and try different things. It should still have an exciting script and an addictive narrative though.
                              I don't mean we'd have to add expensive CGI, but at the very least we need people with professional grade cameras and sound equipment (we could maybe get away with one or two that lack audio by having a surreal lack of wild sound). I for one don't dream in iphone videos.

I think if you re-read this part a few times, you'll find that it actually supports my analogy rather than disagrees with it.
                              Only in the very loose sense.

Putting on a single concert, let alone a series of them is an extremely expensive and time consuming feat which requires considerable planning and logistics. Adding ARG elements to a web series is free and anyone with an internet connection can do it.

A more apt analogy would be if a band wanted to record a single, but decided they'd rather record a whole album, then finally a band member suggested they create a blog, a facebook and a twitter account to promote the album.
                              Last edited by Patrick Wiley; 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X