Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schizophrenia reloaded - Recker's Journey in America

Hi everybody,

just wanted to present to you my current documentary film project. It's about Daniel Paul Schreber, the writer of one of the most detailed personal accounts of schizophrenia.

In the film, his biography is revisioned: instead of being transferred to the psychiatric facility where he would spend the next eight years of his life, he flees to America in order to overcome his illness by travelling, as so many Europeans before him, westward.

A link to the project is here.

Best,

Daniel
    Last edited by Daniel Neumann; 07-14-2016, 02:59 PM.

Hello Danny,
    It's an interesting project, enjoyed the clip you posted, it left me wanting to know more of the story so for that reason it works.
    Martyn.

Comment

Hey Martyn,

thank you for the reply. The story is in the making as we speak, it will work even better when the exposition of the main character is in place and there is some context as to how he himself explains the supernatural occurrences that seem to happen all the time.

Daniel

Comment

What length of film are you thinking of Danny? The reason I ask is that you write about an 'exposition' and too much destroys a film, why not dramatize the whole thing, or at least what you can. For example the failure to check-in at the cheap hotel could be filmed with your voice-over explaining his 'take' on the experience. The actors would in effect be miming the actions with their sound unused or starting but trailing off in favour of the V.O.
        Martyn.

Comment

The final movie should be somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes long. With exposition I mean rather that before the episode you see in the preview video, Recker travels to other locations and we will get to know his thoughts and past a little better along the way. I like your idea of the silent recreation of the hotel episode. As I state in the project description, my plan is to work with suggestion, meaning that if we find a fitting hotel, the episode could be told by framing that place in a certain way, maybe interleaving footage that works on a more metaphorical level, etc. That will depend ultimately on the kind of footage we will be able to shoot on the locations.

Comment

I was thinking of filming in a dreamlike style of times gone by, mostly long shots leaving plenty to the imagination, nothing specific which would help a little to ease the location hunt (show less). It's always worth checking all your options, some of the best shots in cinema have been spur of the moment decisions.

Comment

The script allows indeed for some dreamlike sequences. I imagine also a phasing in and out of the "inner world" of the protagonist, work with the interplay between subjective and objective perspectives on his mental state.

Comment

Danny, That's a lot of work, hope you get the bulk of it done before you start shooting! Like the idea though, good luck.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                  X