• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Credits Shooting Information?

At the end of movies you always see a bunch of information such as:

Shot on Panasonic
    Edited on Avid Systems
    Final Sound Mix At So and So

My questions -- why do they do this? Is it legally required? Or just a courtesy thing? Do they have a deal with the companies who make this equipment that they have to include it? Should I be doing with with shorts I intend on sending to festivals?

I also am curious about the logos. For example when they say, Shot on Panasonic, they usually use a Panasonic logo to go along with it. If I shoot my film on a Panasonic Camera, am I allowed to use their logo at the end if I want to?

Hi all, I have this exact same question. I'm about to submit a film into a festival, and want to know if I should technically credit what I edited on and what I shot on, and if I am required or allowed to use those logos. Does anyone have an answer for this?

Comment

Not an official answer, but I've been using them for the last year with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by czstealth View Post
        why do they do this?
        Because its a credit just like all the other credits, crediting the equipment used to create their story.

Is it legally required?
        No

Or just a courtesy thing?
        Could be courtesy, or if they give a deal on the camera or film stock they may have required it (IMO)

Do they have a deal with the companies who make this equipment that they have to include it?
        Sometimes, but I have personally not been affiliated enough in these deals to give a definitive answer.

Should I be doing with with shorts I intend on sending to festivals?
        Its not just for the companies, but also your viewers who may want to know what the film was shot on, so yes.

If I shoot my film on a Panasonic Camera, am I allowed to use their logo at the end if I want to?
        Now this I am not 100% sure, I just do not know but I would think your absolutely fine.
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

The only logo that I've been required (so far) to use is for SAG-AFTRA. Some of my contacts with people and/or companies have specified how and/or in what order they are credited.

As Nick said, otherwise it's generally for courtesy and information, which is also why all of this information is (usually) included on the film's IMDB page as well.
          Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

It’s been my understanding that sometimes a film maker, or studio will make a deal with a camera company to use donated equipment in return for mentioning them in the credits. When I was in grad school a lot of films I worked on with fellow students and friends would cut deals with everyone from Coke to Burger King to have their product in a shot. In exchange we would get cases of coke and a dozen whoppers to cover our lunches.

If a DP is proud of the quality of their work they may also provide info on what they shot the footage on. In my latest short I placed the names of the cameras I shot my own work on -- a Drift Ghost S, a GoPro Hero 3 and 4 as well as my Nikon DSLR camera.

- Wolf

Comment

Working...
            X