No announcement yet.

Is it legal to use real weed on camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to use real weed on camera?

Hey guys, I was wondering if it was legal to use real weed on camera if the people using it had their medical cards?

What an odd question. Why would it matter? It's a movie. How could the viewer possibly know whether they're smoking cannabis, oregano, or lawn clippings?
    2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Don't know about that, but I hear it is now illegal for actors to smoke real tobacco in films shot in CA due to bans on smoking in the workplace. I hear they have to smoke herbal cigarettes instead. Is this true?
      Matt Crunk
      Writer/Producer/Director/Actor
      Fiveacre Films Productions

Comment

I doubt it. The ban on smoking is not just for tobacco, its any cigarette no matter its contents. Likely this does not apply to a film set when the smoke is for the film and not the crew doing it.

Comment

Might be legal if filming in Colorado. I would think getting the real stuff would really increase the budget though.

Comment

As long as no one knows its real weed, I don't think its much of an issue.

Comment

no one will know. I worked on a really low budget movie once that used real weed and cocaine for the big drug scene. I think that's how they paid the extras that day :)

Comment

If it's legal for the actors to smoke the real stuff, it doesn't matter if you film them doing it. Nothing illegal about filming it.

KH

Comment

Interesting question lol. Maybe the question should be how would they know it is real?

Comment

I was wondering about that same thing lol! But I guess it might also depend on the context of the scene.

Comment

Lol, its funny because how could someone would let some real weeds on the camera.

Comment

If it's legal to smoke weed under the circumstances, then it's legal/illegal to film it.

Comment

Working...
                        X