Can anyone help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

(Apologies for submitting this twice - I was unsure which category it belonged in!)

Hi guys, I've recently been throwing around ideas for my first attempt at filmmaking and I've just thought of a potential issue.

The project I'm working on is a short film that I intend to enter into film festivals etc once complete. However the issue I have is that the entire story centres around the song Riders of the Storm by The Doors. I intend to play sections of the song (about a minute at the most) on two seperate occasions. Without this I would have to completely rewrite the script (maybe even ditch it completely)

My question is - would I be allowed to play the song without facing any legal action? Or would I need permission to use the song from the owners? I'm sure that if it was for a feature film that I intended to get distributed and make money off, then I would need permission. But I'm unsure about a short film which has no financial gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologise if this is a stupid question and also if it has been answered before (I'm new to the site and struggling to find my way around!)

While I believe it is technically illegal to use any copyrighted material for any reason without the owner's permission, it seems to be acceptable (maybe even exceptions?) in certain situations for educational purposes. But I would check with the film festivals you plan to enter because some have rules against including music you don't own or have the rights to.
    Matt Crunk
    Writer/Producer/Director/Actor
    Fiveacre Films Productions

Comment

I am fairly confident in my knowledge that you're probably going to have to pay somebody something. However, if that ends up being the case, I suggest you do the film anyway, maybe with a lower budget. You'd regret it if you don't.

Comment

Working...
      X