X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Filmmaker Support

**THIS THREAD IS CLOSED - PLEASE CREATE A NEW TOPIC HERE FOR SUPPORT**

****This thread is turning into a great information source for new filmmakers! Keep it up everyone, and if you know someone is looking for general newbie help, point them to this thread****

Hey guys, I thought I would open up a thread for new filmmakers to ask any question they want and I, along with others will answer them as best as possible.

Anything from Pre-Production to Distribution I can assist with

Here are some short cuts:

The number one thing to do when seeking investors for your film?
    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera...t.html#post235

What script software to use
    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera...t.html#post347

Cheap editing software?
    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera...t.html#post409

Sell a story to hollywood
    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera....html#post1982

I want to do a feature. I'm ready for my close up
    http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera....html#post2580

Filmmaking shots and angles for beginners
    Basic Shots and Angles - New Filmmakers

Nick Soares

(You can subscribe to this thread by clicking "Thread Tools" and in the drop down menu click "Subscribe" (Be sure to click *Instant Email Notification*) this will send an email to you when a new post has been added.)
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Hi Nick,

My name is Paul and i am getting into the film industry. What is the #1 I should not do when seeking money from investors?

Also, what is the best camera to shoot on that looks like film?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul77 View Post
      Hi Nick,

My name is Paul and i am getting into the film industry. What is the #1 I should not do when seeking money from investors?

Also, what is the best camera to shoot on that looks like film?
      Hey Paul, Thanks for joining.

To your first question -
      The #1 thing not to do when asking for money is to not be emotional about it. Example, if you are doing a true story drama, dont explain to the investor that the story needs to be made because it is a true story, these are emotional investments which to investors are very risky. Instead explain the genre and profits it can make while keeping all emotions out of it. Just always remember emotional investments are risky investments.

To your second question -
      The Epic (By Red) is going to be the hottest camera over the next few years. Its footage is compared to (if not better) then a panavision 35mm.

Hope this was of some help to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Hey Paul, Thanks for joining.

To your first question -
        The #1 thing not to do when asking for money is to not be emotional about it. Example, if you are doing a true story drama, dont explain to the investor that the story needs to be made because it is a true story, these are emotional investments which to investors are very risky. Instead explain the genre and profits it can make while keeping all emotions out of it. Just always remember emotional investments are risky investments.

To your second question -
        The Epic (By Red) is going to be the hottest camera over the next few years. Its footage is compared to (if not better) then a panavision 35mm.

Hope this was of some help to you.
        Wow, thanks Nick you saved me $80 sisnce I didnt have to buy an ebook that a guy (with no imdb credits) was trying to sell me these secrets! This forum is the best I cant tell you how excited I am.

Thank you

Cheers!!!!!!

Comment

Ha, its my pleasure Paul, yea i see lots of ebooks out there, ive bought them all and there all junk. I just smile to be able to help people out, just like my friends helped me out when I started.

Let me know if anyone else has questions and ill do my best (for free) :)

Nick Soares

Comment

Totally Agree with you Nick

Investors only want to know about ROI regardless of the field you r in (film, software, social media, etc). Focus on what is unique about the project and what they will get out of it....have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkle2012 View Post
              Investors only want to know about ROI regardless of the field you r in (film, software, social media, etc). Focus on what is unique about the project and what they will get out of it....have a nice day.
              +1

Comment

hi - i was wondering if there was a software I could use to write scripts? thank u

Comment

Originally posted by MnM View Post
                  hi - i was wondering if there was a software I could use to write scripts? thank u
                  MnM,

I personally used Final Draft when I wrote "A Brush With Death" and found it very useful. Others might have a different program in mined, but thats just what I used.

Comment

Originally posted by MnM View Post
                    ...software I could use to write scripts?
                    Celtx is essentially and open source version of Final Draft. Not quite as full featured, but definately enough to get any writer started.

Celtx - #1 Choice for Media Pre-Production

Comment

Agreed.

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                      MnM,

I personally used Final Draft when I wrote "A Brush With Death" and found it very useful. Others might have a different program in mined, but thats just what I used.
                      Final Draft is the best. I've been using it for a decade.

Comment

I use Movie Magic and Final Draft. Mostly, I stick with Movie Magic.

Comment

hi thnk you for all of the info here. Truly a neat clean site. Can you let me know what is a cheap or even free software that i can edit a movie on?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            hi thnk you for all of the info here. Truly a neat clean site. Can you let me know what is a cheap or even free software that i can edit a movie on?
                            Hey Mark, answered here ---> http://www.filmmakerforum.org/genera...soft-ware.html

Comment

I've used both Final Draft and, currently, Movie Magic Screenwriter.
                              I noticed an anomaly when I changed my FD scripts to MMS format. There were less pages in MMS. Apparently, MMS handles white space at the bottom of the page differently, in a better way. A writer friend pointed this out to me.
                              If you're lazy, FD might be the way to go. Otherwise, MMS gives you 10-15% fewer pages for the same amount of work!
                              Has anyone else noticed this unusual and unexpected result when changing FD into MMS? :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X