Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this breaking the 180 degree rule?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this breaking the 180 degree rule?

I was watching this film riot video, and at 4:37 into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfKsdPsS5w&t=465s

The man in the video explains that you should get a wide shot, then a medium, then a close up, then do reverse shots on all three of those shots.

However, I assume the first shot when he says 'wide', he means a mastershot, as in all the characters in the scene would be in it. But if you decided to do a reverse shot on a master, wouldn't all the characters then be on opposite sides, and thus breaking the 180 degree rule? Or am I not understanding that formula, he is talking about, correct?

Originally posted by ironpony View Post
    I was watching this film riot video, and at 4:37 into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfKsdPsS5w&t=465s

The man in the video explains that you should get a wide shot, then a medium, then a close up, then do reverse shots on all three of those shots.

However, I assume the first shot when he says 'wide', he means a mastershot, as in all the characters in the scene would be in it. But if you decided to do a reverse shot on a master, wouldn't all the characters then be on opposite sides, and thus breaking the 180 degree rule? Or am I not understanding that formula, he is talking about, correct?
    The wide shot is to establish location. It doesn't have anything to do with the characters. It could just be an empty room or an empty neighborhood or a busy street filled with extras. The medium shot establishes the main charcter. The closeup is the eyes of the main character.

Comment

Oh okay, but is it necessary to do a reverse on a location establishment shot though? I mean in an example like the TV show Seinfeld let's say, when they show Jerry's apartment, you only see it from the one side, and they never reverse it.

That's one example, so are reverses of establishing shot, really necessary?

Comment

Working...
      X