Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who calls 'cut' in this type of situation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who calls 'cut' in this type of situation?

While shooting, if something goes wrong with the video or audio, I don't want the DP or PSM to not say anything and still let the scene play out, if it means the video or audio is useless. Sometimes I cannot stand behind the camera to see everything or listen into the headphones to hear everything as director all the time.

So if there is a problem I feel the person should say 'cut', and mention it, but since I am the one who calls cut, how would they bring something like this up, if only the director is allowed to break the shoot?

Or I guess I should ask, how can I persuade my DP and PSM to come to me if there is a problem? I have been shooting a short film and there are problems with the video and audio, but I feel that they do not mention to me, and I only find out later, after the scenes are shot. So how would I, the director, encourage them to speak up about the problems, instead of finding out later?

Comment

My method:
      After cut I look at the DoP and the audioperson and I ask them: "And?"

It is that simple.

If something goes completely wrong they often say so without yelling cut. They leave it to me.

Comment

Okay thanks. I did do that, but they said it was all good, and did not mention that the audio was way too quiet or that the actor moved out of frame, for a few seconds.

Comment

The latter is because you are not really directing if you can't watch.

Comment

Well on some shoots I have to be the operator of the boom, or fill in for acting for a character, but other directors have done that as well, and I would like to be able to multitask, if need be.

Comment

Those other directors, me included, find ways to boom and still monitor what is being shot.

Comment

Okay thanks. I'll try to do that next time.

Comment

Working...
                X